• View counts are not updating correctly, we are looking into it now. Thanks!

Long Range scope 1200 yard max shot

8   0
Reaction score
I am becoming very passionate about long distance shooting. I am looking at upgrading my optic to more comfortably shoot up to and past 800 yards. The budget is limited so I am looking between the Vortex Vipers and the Athlon (better models) 20 plus magnification and illumination. Between those two brands what are your thoughts?

Do you have enough offset in your mounts?

I mean, more magnification is nice, but make sure you have the basics covered. What's the drop at the max distance you want to shoot? What's the range of adjustment of the scopes you are considering? How much cant is in your mount? Understand all this before you but anything else. I had to upgrade from 20 moa to a40 moa special order mount for one of my projects.

I just took pictures of my Vortex Viper that I am going to sell. It is LNIB.
pm me if you are interested.

$425.

Attachments

• 7FE600D8-0B6A-405C-A452-B5695A87ADFD.jpeg
    7FE600D8-0B6A-405C-A452-B5695A87ADFD.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 61
  • B1F8A17E-326F-4A1B-994D-2035DC243506.jpeg
    B1F8A17E-326F-4A1B-994D-2035DC243506.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 57
I read an article somewhere that talked about the equipment the military snipers use.
One fact I took away was they prefer fixed power over variable power.
And that 10x can do everything from 100-1200yards.
For the same money, you'll get better glass if you go fixed power.
I can personally attest to this as I have a Nightforce 4.5x fixed scope on a AR15NM and routinely shoot out to 600yards and can hold a 2moa(12inch) group.

I read an article somewhere that talked about the equipment the military snipers use.
One fact I took away was they prefer fixed power over variable power.
And that 10x can do everything from 100-1200yards.
For the same money, you'll get better glass if you go fixed power.
I can personally attest to this as I have a Nightforce 4.5x fixed scope on a AR15NM and routinely shoot out to 600yards and can hold a 2moa(12inch) group.

Mil snipers quit using fixed power scopes a long time ago.

Well, the fixed lower power thing is right and wrong. You can't hit what you cannot see, and you can see partially obscured targets better with more magnification, up to the point you're just magnifying mirage. But yeah, I'd rather have high quality and low mag. But I'm just a dabbler, so what do I know.

I am becoming very passionate about long distance shooting. I am looking at upgrading my optic to more comfortably shoot up to and past 800 yards. The budget is limited so I am looking between the Vortex Vipers and the Athlon (better models) 20 plus magnification and illumination. Between those two brands what are your thoughts?
I am planning 2 long distance builds as well for a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle, and a .308 Winchester 700 rifle. So, I am right there with ya learning what to buy.

There is a lot to consider, and I think you should try to buy as much as possible from the get go, even if you need to save up longer. From everybody I have talked to you and I need to have a min xx24x50 min so that we have the room to work down. Another thing you need to explore are all the reticle types.

Here is a site that is helping me a ton figure out what is available. Pick a good reticle in FFP, (First Focal Plane), and don't skimp on magnification.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/07/31/tactical-scopes-reticles/

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom