• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long range shooter question

Jdadams

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
28   0
Reaction score
i bought a nice scope from a family friend a month or so ago. Part of the deal was he had to teach me how to use it. He is a competitive long range guy. We will have the opportunity to shoot out to 1000 yards. I have purchased the suggested ammo.

What else would you suggest I acquire between now and when we go shoot.

I have very little shooting experience past 350 yards.

I’m not sure how far we will work out to but he did suggest a log book so I can get my dope. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

A bipod or rifle rest will come in handy. A squeeze bag for the buttstock is an advantage. Read up on breathing and shooting between heartbeats.

Info on caliber and rifle matters. Some rounds will be go transonic before 1K and get squirrely.

What scope rings/mount are you using?

1st thing almost every long range shooter in Ga. do is go to Gun Site Hills Rifle Range and work with the Chief.
He will get you going in the right direction with rifle set-up.. scope alignment.. use of a level
Set-up On your rifle,fundamentals of shooting and breathing.. tell him Wiley Coyote sent you... Don't be late for the safety briefing.... :-) :-)
http://gunsitehills.com/

I have a dpms AR10 with a 24” bull barrel.

Hornady match 168 grain ELD
Hornady match 168 grain HPBT
Hornady match 178 grain HPBT
Federal golf metal match 168 grain HPBT

I have a dpms AR10 with a 24” bull barrel.

Hornady match 168 grain ELD
Hornady match 168 grain HPBT
Hornady match 178 grain HPBT
Federal golf metal match 168 grain HPBT

What trigger is in your DPMS? Some of the worst triggers I’ve ever felt were in some of those rifles.

For running out to 1,000yds, stick with the 175grn and heavier loads.

Do you have a good scope mount? If so, what do you have? What size scope tube?

A good bipod, like the Harris BRM-S. Replace the tension nut with a lever. https://www.amazon.com/Arthur-Brown-Company-Inc-Caldwell/dp/B0057QJN32

That’s the minimum, everything else is gravy and you’ll need to experiment to figure out what you like; rear bags, shooting mat, etc.

Back
Top Bottom