• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long range shooter question

I did, with:
Scar 17
Leupold MK6 3-18
Q Trash Panda
Lake City Surplus M80.

No app. I only do it manually, no bubble level, only DOPE and foliage wind speed reading.

Chief let’s me loose as soon as I return from putting up the 100yd paper.

He’s seen me shoot in the past and says “we both know you don’t need me out here, I’ll be back when I don’t hear you shooting anymore, call me if you need anything”

Not a great pic taken through a Amazon 60x spotting scope, but you know the range, not bad for surplus m80 out of a 16in pencil bbl with a can on the end.

4 shot group, using BDC on the reticle.

DE0CB960-5CFC-4754-BF70-502AC03574BF.png

6BDD1B45-BA80-47C3-9B67-4CEEF10A788E.jpeg
30D89FAE-9788-40E4-8519-65A879465BF8.jpeg

I did, with:
Scar 17
Leupold MK6 3-18
Q Trash Panda
Lake City Surplus M80.

No app. I only do it manually, no bubble level, only DOPE and foliage wind speed reading.

Chief let’s me loose as soon as I return from putting up the 100yd paper.

He’s seen me shoot in the past and says “we both know you don’t need me out here, I’ll be back when I don’t hear you shooting anymore, call me if you need anything”

Not a great pic taken through a Amazon 60x spotting scope, but you know the range, not bad for surplus m80 out of a 16in pencil bbl with a can on the end.

4 shot group, using BDC on the reticle.

View attachment 2280013
View attachment 2280014 View attachment 2280015
great shooting... i would suggest that you look at the Strelok Pro..Hornady4DOF app.. have you been to Blakely before?? i have some unfinished business out there (2200 and 2500 yard targets)..
I have a Ruger Precision 338 and a Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmoor

let me know the next time you go .. i would have tagged along with you and got some trigger time in.. im sure the Chief had great things to say about me :-) in the Chiefs own way:-) :-)

If I had that scope and your rifle, I would swap the rings for a Nightforce 20MOA Unimount. I may actually have one in the shop, but I won’t be home until tomorrow evening to check.

Whether you pick a mount up from me, or elsewhere, I’m happy to help you get everything mounted up, leveled, and torqued to spec. I’m not far away in Dallas.
Thank you for the offer. I actually need to go to Dallas anyway. I supposed to close on a piece of property that I have not walked yet.

At this point for next weekend Im out of time so ill shoot what I have. That stupid 4 letter work w-o-r-k keeps getting in my way.

I believe if my memory is correct, the mounts I have are NF ultralight mounts. is the unimount really $100 better?

Thank you for the offer. I actually need to go to Dallas anyway. I supposed to close on a piece of property that I have not walked yet.

At this point for next weekend Im out of time so ill shoot what I have. That stupid 4 letter work w-o-r-k keeps getting in my way.

I believe if my memory is correct, the mounts I have are NF ultralight mounts. is the unimount really $100 better?

I doubt you would have any issues with the rings, although the mount is stiffer, stronger, and will have a 20MOA cant.

I like chief, but his teachings are a "bit" antiquated. Although, he is starting to come along with modern tech and techniques
You have to get the basics down if you plan on ELr shooting (2,000 plus yards) .. yes he has come a long way with the understanding of apps and Kestrels etc.. to calculate dial ups, wind calls etc... but. I Like the real world old school teachings that you may have to use one day.. with all technology available, the shooter still has to setup up their rifle,scope and do the basics behind the gun and trigger work..

You have to get the basics down if you plan on ELr shooting (2,000 plus yards) .. yes he has come a long way with the understanding of apps and Kestrels etc.. to calculate dial ups, wind calls etc... but. I Like the real world old school teachings that you may have to use one day.. with all technology available, the shooter still has to setup up their rifle,scope and do the basics behind the gun and trigger work..

I’ve run to 2,000yds+ at Arena without using a ballistic app. Yep, they’re great tools, but there is satisfaction to figuring it all out with a $4 Walmart calculator instead.

Back
Top Bottom