• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long Range Shooting - help picking a scope

There is a new show on the Sportsmen Network called Long Range Reality. It's a reality show with 20 long range teams competing. They are all using the same Vortex.

That's all I'm going to say.

Take the tactical scope class that cmshoot cmshoot puts on at TruPrep.. I learned a tremendous amount from him in just about an hour and half setting.. It cost me 20 bucks.. Well worth the money.. You will leave there with a vast amount of knowledge. I promise.. If you don't think its worth it I will give you the 20 bucks back that you spent..

No I am not affiliated with Shep at all just letting you know it was worth the price of admission.

J
Take the tactical scope class that cmshoot cmshoot puts on at TruPrep.. I learned a tremendous amount from him in just about an hour and half setting.. It cost me 20 bucks.. Well worth the money.. You will leave there with a vast amount of knowledge. I promise.. If you don't think its worth it I will give you the 20 bucks back that you spent..

No I am not affiliated with Shep at all just letting you know it was worth the price of admission.

Just sent him a PM for class schedules - thanks

Higher magnification is not better or worse, it just depends on the application. If you want to shoot tiny holes in paper, like benchrest shooters where you are completely set up, have all the time in the world to adjust the rifle, get the proper eye relief etc...the highest magnification you can get would be best. If you are wanting to shoot dynamically at all, things get a bit nuanced above 20x. There is a lot of praise on here about the Vipers, personally I am not a fan at all as I think the glass is sub par. The Razor series is another story. If I were you, I would be more apt to purchase a good used scope in your price range than trying to find the best I could at $600 brand new. Most of the high end scopes have really good lifetime warranties anyways and who cares if its got a scratch or two. You will appreciate the better glass, turrets, tracking and besides, once you scratch or ding that new scope, you now have a used scope anyway. I do happen to have a Bushnell Elite G2 DMR that I have been pondering letting go, I couldn't get to $600 but if you are interested, perhaps we could work something out.

Oh and @Wallace's, while I appreciate the confidence, I don't deserve to be mentioned among cmshoot cmshoot and @REDX when it comes to long range shooting. While my product knowledge may be up there due to being in the industry, they are miles ahead of me in experience and knowledge on the gun at distance. My long range shooting is about like my fishing: give me the location, the type of bait and show me where to throw and I can look like a pro...make me find them myself and I'd starve to death.

I've never actually played with that model, but have the DMR with the G2 reticle. Love it. Now I want one of the Gen 2's
I love my G2 DMR. I had thought about pulling that 6-24 BTR MIL off and replacing it with my G2 since its not currently on a rifle, but that .243 is a single shot right bolt/left port gun and a reticle that shines by being able to make quick follow up shots probably doesn't belong on a single shot rifle no matter how much I love it. That BTR-MIL reticle is awesome for small targets and fits what I do with the gun really well. Plus I don't feel like re-zeroing....

Back
Top Bottom