• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long Range Shooting - help picking a scope

There are lots of things to consider when choosing a LR scope. I will tell you what I like in a scope from shooting NRA Lr 1000 ,NRA mid range 600 and IBS 1000yrd Benchrest.
I use 8x32x56 ,10x50x56 and a 12x42x56 .I can always dial down but I want to see the mirage.I will dope the wind off it.
I prefer a second focal plane scope ,on a FFP scope the crosshairs get to big for my targets as you increase the power.
I want enough internal adjustment to go from 100yds to 1000 yds this will depend on your caliber ,bullet bc and velocity. I also don't want the reticle maxed out in the scope ( 20 moa base and or Burris Sig rings with the required shims to get the crosshairs back into the middle of the scope.)
I prefer the reticle to match the adj knobs MOA/MOA or Mil/Mil.
I like hash marks over mil dot .
I want the scope to track and repeat.If I put 1moa windage I want 1moa and I don't want it to take 3 shots to show on target.
A lot of this is personal preference and I will say I have sold guns but never my quality scopes they just move to the next one.
Good luck , Rugers PR is a great start.
John

Take the tactical scope class that cmshoot cmshoot puts on at TruPrep.. I learned a tremendous amount from him in just about an hour and half setting.. It cost me 20 bucks.. Well worth the money.. You will leave there with a vast amount of knowledge. I promise.. If you don't think its worth it I will give you the 20 bucks back that you spent..

No I am not affiliated with Shep at all just letting you know it was worth the price of admission.
X2. I'll split the cost with Paynefree Paynefree and reimburse $10. It was time and money well spent.

I did both the scope class and the AR15 basics. Interesting and very reasonably priced.

I don't remember the day, I'm pretty sure it was the first one he had done there. Shep mounted a nightforce on a DD .308 for a guy, both items had me drooling.

Yep, that was the first time I did that class.

Doing it again on July 15. I'll have the ad up soon.

UPDATE:

After reading and researching more, I'm leaning towards the Vortex Viper series. After I actually get out there and shoot for several months I may change my mind, but it seems to be a good solution and there is a lot of good reviews on them.

I'm a bit confused on 2 different Viper scopes and hoping someone can help me understand (in layman's terms) why there is such a big price difference between the 2 (they're both Viper series). If I go with the PST, it would be the Second Focal Plane model. I do like the Zero Stop of the PST, but that's obviously not the reason for the difference in cost, and I doubt the 5x more power is either.

What am I missing here?

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 9.08.24 PM.png

UPDATE:

After reading and researching more, I'm leaning towards the Vortex Viper series. After I actually get out there and shoot for several months I may change my mind, but it seems to be a good solution and there is a lot of good reviews on them.

I'm a bit confused on 2 different Viper scopes and hoping someone can help me understand (in layman's terms) why there is such a big price difference between the 2 (they're both Viper series). If I go with the PST, it would be the Second Focal Plane model. I do like the Zero Stop of the PST, but that's obviously not the reason for the difference in cost, and I doubt the 5x more power is either.

What am I missing here?

View attachment 1177861
Big difference is first focal plane versus second focal plane. And the PST has an illuminated reticle. The PST second focal plane model should be quite a bit less than that $1299 price though. Probably about $700.

Big difference is first focal plane versus second focal plane. And the PST has an illuminated reticle. The PST second focal plane model should be quite a bit less than that $1299 price though. Probably about $700.

Wish that were the case on the focal plane; did a side by side comparison and the MRSP is only $100 different. The illuminated reticle is cool I guess but I have no plans of shooting before dawn or after sunset.

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 9.51.10 PM.png

The non-PST version has 12MOA per revolution instead of of 25MOA, and 5MOA less total evolution (that's 50" at 1,000yds), also the turrets are capped instead of exposed. So, turret design is quite different and that ain't a cheap part of the scope.

Back
Top Bottom