• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long range shooting

I would say 2k range for each.

That’s an awesome budget! So many optics and rifle choices at that price. Bergara premier, tikka TAC, Remington 700 5R, HOWA 1500 PRS Rifle, Seekins Havak....

You trying to run mil/mil? If so the SWFA HD 5-20x50 is an awesome scope. Set you back about $1200. I have 5 SWFAs. Very tough and reliable. Not a lot of features though.

Rifles:
Remington 700 PCR ($900) take the money you saved and upgrade some features, or put it towards your optic

Bergara Premier LRP ($1900)

Ruger Precision Rifle ($1200) room in the price for some upgrades, or put it towards your optic

Tikka Tx3 TAC A1 ($1800) proprietary magazine is my only complaint

Seekins Havak Bravo ($1950)

Peruse the For Sale forums. Plenty of custom rifles to be had in .308 with low miles. Buy someone’s $3000 custom stick for $1800-$2000 with only 300rds down the tube.

Optics:
Nightforce NX8 4-32x50mm F1, should be right around $2000, but they aren’t shipping until July 2019

Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50mm, usually around $1850-$1950 new

Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR II line, around $1500 - $2000, depending on exact model

Meopta 6-24x56mm, about $2000

EOTech Vudu 5-25x50mmm about $2000

Vortex Razor HD GenII 4.5-27x56mm, about $2000

Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50mm, about $1799

Athlon Cronus MSRP is $1700 but if you look for deals can be found as low as $1200.

FFP, 56 mm obj, 34mm tube, Christmas tree style reticle, zero stop, HD glass, loud tactile clicks, repeatable turrets.

I would say 2k range for each.
So, you are serious about buy once, cry once.

Don't get the 308. I love my 308s, but if you're spending that much up front go ahead and get a 6.5 Creedmoor. You'll want one later if you get a 308 now. They are more accurate, will stay accurate at greater range than the 308 and the lighter recoil gives you the ability to judge your POI much more easily.

I resisted the "fad" of the 6.5 for quite some time. Once I finally broke down and got one, it was clear there is good reason this cartridge is so popular with long range shooters. I have several very accurate rifles, but if I want my best chance of hitting small targets at long range you'll find a 6.5 Creedmoor in my hand.

6.5 creedmoor, good affordable ammo as well.
Ruger Precision rifle is a very good entry rifle that performs above it's price.

Athlon Cronos is awesome and can run with the big name brands.

I shoot Sako, Tikka, Ruger rifles a good bit and they perform well.
My scopes are Kahles, Nightforce, Athlon, Trijicon and Leupold in that order.

You have to decide on a normal stock or chassis style gun, and weight.
You need to look through some high end glass before you buy online.
I am pickier about my glass than the rifle because so so glass can work but great glass makes it way way easier.

Don't blast away and modern barrels can last several thousand rounds.

Scope rings /mounts, bipod, range finder and other gear is stuff you don't want to skimp on either.

Again..6.5cm has taken the shooting world by storm since Hornady got behind it.

We use to load our own .260 off .308 before it was cool.

Yep get the 6.5 buy once and cry once

I have 3 Creedmoors and 5-308s well so much for the buy once

4 years with 308 bolts and ARs I finally got a 6.5 creed and the 308 just hang on the wall now most of the time.

Also how far do you plan on shooting around here hard to get past 600 )but even at 500 or so Creedmoor is more forgiving

Then you can get to 1000 with about 2 1/2 drive or 2200 with a 4 hour drive but that range is rarely open to the public

I must warn you very addictive hobby chasing further and/or tighter groups

Back
Top Bottom