• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

long range shooting

010A2903-D9E0-4EAA-9879-B276F016D621.jpeg

If your budget was only $400 for the rifle and optic, to shoot a few times a year out to 600 yards, I'd suggest you get a .243 rifle like I have --a Savage model 10 wearing a 3X-to -9X variable power deer rifle scope. (a cheap one that probably only cost $79 new.

With 95-100 grain ballistic tip bullets it's got a good ballistic coefficient. A nice flat trajectory out to several hundred yards.

I shot mine at a 600 yard Rifle match at Riverbend gun club last year. I wasn't in the competition or trying to win anything so they let me keep the standard large bull's-eye target that iron sight shooters would use.

The match director didn't make me put up a special F-class target that has a much smaller aiming black and closer-spaced scoring rings.

Based on studying some drop tables that I found on the Internet, and estimating how many clicks up I should start from my normal 200 yards zero, I got on paper with my first cold bore shot. Then I just cranked up the elevation a few notches at a time until I was zeroed. It didn't take long once I got zeroed I was holding the nine ring I got some tens and X's, but I also got a few eights. So, the best 15 shots out of that 20-round string would have been about a 16" group. From 1/3 of a mile away, it was enough to make me happy.

I don't know if anyone posted about long range shooting, but I got few questions...
1) who can teach me long range shooting ?
2? do we have range that is 600+ yards?
3? gun and equipment I should buy that will not make me go homeless so to speak ?
I shoot 1.400 a lot,6.5 creedmore,and looking to do more!

I shoot 1.400 a lot,6.5 creedmore,and looking to do more!
That's what happened to me...... I find a thousand yards not too fulfilling anymore... One day at dead zero they were having a benchrest competition...I had no idea that there was a competition that day... and I brought my 300 Ackley... The competition shooters as well as the facility owner can acknowledge that I shot a 5-shot group at 1000 that measured approximately 3 inches... Now my only option is going when there is inclement weather or rain to gain a larger learning experience...... Or to seek out a longer range..... You put a rifle together whether it be expensive or more affordable and you do your load development and you chart this and you chart that..... Now I find myself looking for more. Feel free to proofread and put punctuation where it's supposed to be. This is the best I can do with my thumb. And generally most times it's always with my thumb!! I think all the guys that are interested in shooting long range should plan various road trips and get-togethers. I would be all for that. I would like to know everybody's personal experiences with reloading and gear... I for one plan on making the drive to dead zero again sometime in January.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

i checked some stores and websites and what price I am seeing is around $1300 for brand new rifle

Guy sold a Ruger Precision in .308, new in the box, here on ODT the other day for $750. Deals are out there.

Europtic has Gen 1 Vortex Viper PST’s advertised for dirt cheap. Like $499 for a 6-24 (normally $999). If you end up paying 4 digits for the Ruger, prices like that on a good optic will still keep you well within your budget.

On optics, you can dial a 5-25x down to 18x, but you can’t dial a 3-18x up to 25x. With all else being equal, I’ll almost always opt for more power; better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I have no issues running a 10x or 16x past 1,000yds, but more magnification makes the job easier.

@Necrosis is spot on. Check with Ken at Dahlonega Gold & Pawn. 1.5 hours from your zip. He beat the best price on my last rifle by $83. I got a $1k msrp rifle for $817 plus tax. Use gun.deals as a price checker. GA Gun Store is in Gainesville. They are competitive. Mike & Kellie are great folks there as well.

Attachments

• 86025963-5F22-4BFD-BB13-78CC7BE38DE6.png
    86025963-5F22-4BFD-BB13-78CC7BE38DE6.png
    133.6 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom