• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long term bread storage solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS I remember being stuck in the cabin on Prince William Sound in 92.
Fall storm rolled in sooner than we expected and we could not make make the trip back home (commercial fishing boat, not a weekend cruiser). Always brought extra food with us, just in case, but storm lasted longer than we thought. Pilot bread and warmed up canned corned beef x 2 a day.

I am sorry, was not directed at you. Rice crackers might be an option for you, but I have no experience with them.
Home made tack with rice flour? Pack in Mylar bags with Oxygen absorbers.
You’re good man! No harm whatsoever haha. It is difficult finding long term solutions for food. Can’t have corn either. Most rice items last a good while.

Make a small batch and see how it tastes? Sub rice or almond flour for wheat flour.

My plan is to repack the Pilot bread, while it is on sale, into vacuum sealed bags, then into 5 gal bakets lined with large Mylar bags and O2 absorbers.

Judging by the pics left from buyers, a good portion comes crumbled or mostly broken up.

Probably better to make homemade hardtack if serious about storing it long term. Seems to have palm oil which may degrade it sooner than homemade versions.

The reason for my OG post was the 1 pot soup thread. Something like a pilot bread would make a bowl or 2 of soup a day more filling and more enjoyable.

In my experience, 3 or 4 crackers will be cracked in shipping, usualy 1. But I order 4 boxes or more at a time. 1 box will be packed in a shipping box too big for it and will rattle and arrive in worse shape. Being there, done that. Crumbs just go in the soup, like oyster crackers.

Oldest crackers I've eaten were 3 to 5 years old. Plain flour, water and salt tack will last longer. It will also break your teeth and tastes like brick. If I do not like it now, I will not eat later, that's my approach to food storage. Food needs to improve your mood, besides being fuel.

The oldest boxes I have are only a year+ old, we go thru a box or two in a month just with the regular meals. I will open them in another year.

Matza bread is about the same. Kind of bland but not bad. Good shelf life and makes a great base for other stuff including mini pizzas. Won't break teeth either. Not too bad nutritionally either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom