• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long Term Die Storage

Buckeye76

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
95   0
Reaction score
Due to my job, I really only reload between Oct - Mar, depending on weather.

I am getting ready to start making up some new loads using CFE Pistol and was getting my presses and bench organized.
When I pulled my toolheads(Dillon550/650) out I noticed some rust on my dies. They are stored on the shelves of my bench, covered with some coers I had made. The resizing die was always the worst.

I started checking some of my other stuff and noticed my case gauges were rusted too. The Lyman gauges were pretty bad and the L.E. Wilson were about like my dies, some light surface rust.

So instead of De-bulging .40 cases, I took some steel wool and some CLP to the dies and gauges. I ended up going through all of my dies no matter what they were and wiped everything down with a good coat. I have always been leery of using too much oil so it won't deteriorate my powder.

I really don't want to have to take my dies out of my toolheads now that they are set up. That's the whole point of having them. I guess I will start wiping them down in rotation when I do the stuff in the safe.

So, how do you store your dies and guages?

I use containers from the $ Store, you can add a anti-moisture pack. Works well for my Lee Loadmaster set up. No that's not Rust on the 9mm die set, some weird reflection from the Flash I guess.

1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom