• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long term food sources

At Costco - Mountain House Freeze Dried Chili Mac with Beef; 6 boxes for total of 13,800 calories cost $145.

I am sure it has a lot of things going for it, But value ain't one of 'em.

For long term SHTF, you need calories, calories, calories. Supplement with multivitamins and minerals.
Did you mean "cost ain't one of them"? It does seem like a disproportionate cost for the caloric value. However, most of us can survive on 1200-1600 calories per day as long as we are not in combat, so dividing it out comes out to about $10/day. There is a lot that goes into producing a product that will keep for 25 years and is easy to prepare. Problems is our money is losing purchasing power by the minute. Combine this with supply and demand competition for all ingredients, including gubmint regulation and taxes and we end up with a high cost indeed.

Ramen noodles would be the last thing I stock up on for survival.

I watched a video where the person swallowed a small a camera the size of a large pill and recorded the digestion process of freeze dried noodles.

Here's a short version video of it.

On a 10 day trip my son and I ate everything they made and then we rated them.

Without a doubt we both liked the Pasta Primavera the best.
All were edible, not a one was nasty and thrown out.
We were impressed.
The only thing I didn't like was the fact that the cholesterol was high on every one of the meals.
A small can of peaches, pears or fruit cocktails made for a good late evening snack.

After trying so many of their different meals, I'd be very comfortable having anything they make for an emergency.
Me and my oldest daughter love the Teriyaki chicken

Dry beans and rice are dirt cheap, combined they provide all necessary amino acids. Salt, sugar, vinegar, will be necessary to can with. Honey has been found in Egyptian tombs that was still edible, it also has antibiotic properties. Multi vitamins and minerals are a must for good health. Pasta provides a lot of carbs and can be combined with about anything to make a meal. Canned tuna, salmon and chicken will fill in the lean times and provide some variety from the beans and rice. Oil will be one of the most difficult food items to reproduce. Look for oils with longer shelf life and store in a cool dark place.
Gardening and canning will be a necessity for true long term survival as well as hunting, fishing, keeping poultry, cattle, goats or sheep.
The Americans that survive will drop to a much lower % of body fat in a very short time. This is beneficial as carrying a 165 pound lean carcass around requires far less calories than hauling a 300 pound carcass around.
If it ever does hit many lives will end and the remainder will change.
Not a food item but buy a dozen bic lighters every time you go into a dollar store.

Ghee is also a great thing to keep stored away, it's also has been found in Egyptian tombs that's still edible. I tend to buy a case at a time and keep it set aside for my wife, she only uses a small amount for praying so it lasts a long time for us & it's nice to know I have a extra supply of grass fed ghee I can use to fry some up with or mix into rice for extra fat in our diet.

Ghee is also a great thing to keep stored away, it's also has been found in Egyptian tombs that's still edible. I tend to buy a case at a time and keep it set aside for my wife, she only uses a small amount for praying so it lasts a long time for us & it's nice to know I have a extra supply of grass fed ghee I can use to fry some up with or mix into rice for extra fat in our diet.
Absolutely, where do you buy by the case? Haven’t used it for praying though, just cooking.:boink:

:boink:
Absolutely, where do you buy by the case? Haven’t used it for praying though, just cooking.:boink::boink:

Amazon or the local Caribbean/Indian store or cheapest online search, my wife practices Hindu & it's part of the offering that she burns every once in awhile. We don't use it for cooking though, but in an emergency situation it'll get used. We tend to like Kerrygold butter, coconut oil or bacon grease when we cook.

An adult male needs about 2000 calories a day or about 730,000 per year. That would cost about $7,700 for the Mountain House freeze dried. So you're looking at around $20,000 for a family of 3. Bon appétit

It would cost one person about $800 to get those calories from Ramen noodle soup.

An adult male needs about 2000 calories a day or about 730,000 per year. That would cost about $7,700 for the Mountain House freeze dried.

It would cost about $800 to get those calories from Ramen noodle soup.

The body has to work harder to digest that stuff, so you don't actually get all the calories that you'd think. You're better off getting instant mashed potatoes.

At Andersonville civil war prison it was said that the new arrival's boots were quite tasty. As was tree bark, grass, leaves and Georgia red clay. It seems they didn't worry much about their cholesterol. Those Georgians outside the prison walls were only slightly better off since they could access more trees. When your freeze dried meals run out don't forget to save the bucket. It's possible some people have teeth strong enough to chew it up. Those that can't will be trapping small game and eating at least once a day.

Back
Top Bottom