• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long Term Food Storage Options

centermass72

Default rank <5 posts
New to The Trader!
1   0
Reaction score
Longtime ODT viewer, old GON member, back in town with new account. Just wanted to pass on some info on personal food prepping experience. I am certain most of this has been mentioned before. Just my two cents and putting it out there for discussion.

#10 Food Storage: Many companies available. Wise Co., 4Patriots, Ready Hour, Mountain House. My go to is Augason Farms. Been purchasing from them for years. Most of their #10 can products have a 25-year shelf life. Although some of their milk and bread products have 10-year shelf lives. I purchase on Scamazon, I mean Amazon. I NEVER pay full price. They run specials every month and that’s when I will buy. Below are a few current examples:

Amazon.com: Augason Farms Gluten-Free Black Bean Burger 2 lbs 14 oz No. 10 Can 1 Pack : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Amazon.com: Augason Farms Vegetable Stew Blend 2 lbs 0.5 oz No. 10 Can : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Hard Storage: Again, you can find most of this stuff on Amazon. Mylar bags, food grade desiccant packs, mylar vacuum sealer. All to store in your sealed containers.

If you are in the ATL area, you can purchase 5-gallon food grade buckets at:

5 GALLON FOOD GRADE BUCKETS -ONLY $3.00 EACH - farm & garden - by... (craigslist.org)

More options at:

Atlanta Barrels Open Top Locking Lid Shipping Storage Burn Rain, Drums Plastic Metal Wood - Atlanta, Georgia

Their 14 Gallon locking lid containers are awesome. They also have the 55-gallon water drums and 275-gallon pallet water totes.

Food: **A good source of bulk rice and beans is H-Mart in Riverdale, GA. They have the 25-50lb bags of rice at decent prices. ** Freeze for a week to kill all possible worms and then pack and seal.

SAM’S Club the same. They have the 50lb bags of rice on sale a couple times a year for 18.00 per 50lb. bag. Same at SAM’s with bulk beans.

Member's Mark Long Grain White Rice (50 lbs.) - Sam's Club (samsclub.com)

Member's Mark Pinto Beans (12 lbs.) - Sam's Club (samsclub.com)

SAM’s also has a nice selection of the restaurant size 100oz cans of products. Chili, beans, fruit.

Stagg Country Brand Chili with Beans (108 oz.) - Sam's Club (samsclub.com)

What do you guys do for your long-term storage?

Longtime ODT viewer, old GON member, back in town with new account. Just wanted to pass on some info on personal food prepping experience. I am certain most of this has been mentioned before. Just my two cents and putting it out there for discussion.

#10 Food Storage: Many companies available. Wise Co., 4Patriots, Ready Hour, Mountain House. My go to is Augason Farms. Been purchasing from them for years. Most of their #10 can products have a 25-year shelf life. Although some of their milk and bread products have 10-year shelf lives. I purchase on Scamazon, I mean Amazon. I NEVER pay full price. They run specials every month and that’s when I will buy. Below are a few current examples:

Amazon.com: Augason Farms Gluten-Free Black Bean Burger 2 lbs 14 oz No. 10 Can 1 Pack : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Amazon.com: Augason Farms Vegetable Stew Blend 2 lbs 0.5 oz No. 10 Can : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Hard Storage: Again, you can find most of this stuff on Amazon. Mylar bags, food grade desiccant packs, mylar vacuum sealer. All to store in your sealed containers.

If you are in the ATL area, you can purchase 5-gallon food grade buckets at:

5 GALLON FOOD GRADE BUCKETS -ONLY $3.00 EACH - farm & garden - by... (craigslist.org)

More options at:

Atlanta Barrels Open Top Locking Lid Shipping Storage Burn Rain, Drums Plastic Metal Wood - Atlanta, Georgia

Their 14 Gallon locking lid containers are awesome. They also have the 55-gallon water drums and 275-gallon pallet water totes.

Food: **A good source of bulk rice and beans is H-Mart in Riverdale, GA. They have the 25-50lb bags of rice at decent prices. ** Freeze for a week to kill all possible worms and then pack and seal.

SAM’S Club the same. They have the 50lb bags of rice on sale a couple times a year for 18.00 per 50lb. bag. Same at SAM’s with bulk beans.

Member's Mark Long Grain White Rice (50 lbs.) - Sam's Club (samsclub.com)

Member's Mark Pinto Beans (12 lbs.) - Sam's Club (samsclub.com)

SAM’s also has a nice selection of the restaurant size 100oz cans of products. Chili, beans, fruit.

Stagg Country Brand Chili with Beans (108 oz.) - Sam's Club (samsclub.com)

What do you guys do for your long-term storage?
Thanks for sharing. Agree on audition farms. The dried eggs are handy.

Insanely high?

Compared to the price tags I have on my others from around 2015-18, they range from $15-$30 higher now.

Given the egg and meat prices the past couple years, I can see that being the main reason. Then add the inflation on top of everything else and it sure adds up.

Reactions: dpm
Back
Top Bottom