• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Longtime browser of ODT, new gun owner.

RandalDefense

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
Hi folks! Randy here, and I’m kinda new to the world of shooting after a long hiatus (used to go shooting with an old boss 8-10ish years ago, and helped host an event or two… some of you guys who have been on the ODT a long time might know him). Anyways I have recently purchased my first rifle from a member here and felt I should introduce myself after browsing the site for years.

P.S. anyone know of a good 200 yard+ rifle range north of or within an hour of ATL that is open the public?

24592A8D-2ABD-408F-A362-013D294E84DB.gif

Welcome to the **** show!
200 (2).gif

For a range with that kind of distance, you're kind of SOL unless you want to join a club.

I'd recommend National Forest land. Open to the public. You can shoot, just clean up after yourself and don't use the trees as backstops.

Hi Randy!

What rifle did you get? I like to do my 200 300 and 600 yard shooting up at River Bend gun club. I try to do that a couple times a year but I've been slacking off lately. I'm not a RBGC member, but all of their matches are open to the public that is members of the public who have a suitable firearm, know basic gun safety, and can shoot an approximately 15 "minute of angle" group from the prone or sitting positions, out to 300 yds. (meaning, your bullets will land somewhere on the paper target and you will not hit the wooden or metal target frames.)

I'd recommend taking your rifle to a 100 yard range and zeroing it in to be 3 inches high at 100 yards.

Then, look for an appropriate match on the club calendar at River Bend and see what's going on for 200 yard matches --such as the "hunting rifle" match they have several times a year.

Hi Randy!

What rifle did you get? I like to do my 200 300 and 600 yard shooting up at River Bend gun club. I try to do that a couple times a year but I've been slacking off lately. I'm not a RBGC member, but all of their matches are open to the public that is members of the public who have a suitable firearm, know basic gun safety, and can shoot an approximately 15 "minute of angle" group from the prone or sitting positions, out to 300 yds. (meaning, your bullets will land somewhere on the paper target and you will not hit the wooden or metal target frames.)

I'd recommend taking your rifle to a 100 yard range and zeroing it in to be 3 inches high at 100 yards.

Then, look for an appropriate match on the club calendar at River Bend and see what's going on for 200 yard matches --such as the "hunting rifle" match they have several times a year.
I picked up a DDM4V7. And I’ve checked out a few clubs in the area, including River Bend. It seems to be a daunting task finding sponsors, for me at least, to actually join and I’m definitely not in the position to join a match just yet as I need more experience. So for now I guess it would be best to hit up Wilson shoals, train, practice, and get re-familiarized with the art of shooting. And thanks for the advice on the zero-ing, it is much appreciated.

Welcome to the **** show!
View attachment 4167087

For a range with that kind of distance, you're kind of SOL unless you want to join a club.

I'd recommend National Forest land. Open to the public. You can shoot, just clean up after yourself and don't use the trees as backstops.
Thank you.
As a guy who spends a lot of time camping on national forest land, leaving the place cleaner than I find it is a pretty simple ask for a nice day out of the house!

Back
Top Bottom