• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Look out for ticks

BangBang BangBang give em the rundown about lone star ticks...
The meat allergy is definitely real guys. I should know because it damn near killed me.

I was randomly having episodes for a couple years where I would break out in itchy red hives every 6 months or so, but I was eating meat daily so I never thought that it was the culprit. Finally on Christmas night of 2013, after having lasagna at a family get together, I came home and ended up going into full on anaphylactic shock. My throat swelled up, I passed out and pissed all over myself laying in my hallway.

After a trip to the ER that night I decided it was time to go see an allergist and find out what the hell was going on before I died. Within 10 minutes of sitting down and telling him my symptoms he told me that he was 99% sure he knew what my allergy was. There is a blood test for it. He did the test and called me a couple days later.... Postive for a meat allergy caused by a reaction to a bite from the lone star tick!

A bite from the lone star tick causes your immune system to create an antibody to fight the bacteria in the saliva of the tick. Unfortunately this antibody also reacts to a carbohydrate that is found in mammal meat.

The easiest way to remember what I can or can't eat now is this: If an animal is hatched from an egg I can still eat it. Anything else is a no go.

The funny thing is that this allergy is still so rare that anytime I go to a doctor or hospital or anything and they ask me if I have any allergies and I tell them about this, they look at me like I'm crazy. Most of them have never heard of it!

For all you epipen carriers with EDC bags, here's my setup.....

IMG_0355.JPG
IMG_0356.JPG

It's actually an AR mag pouch, but a bottle of liquid Benadryl and my epipen fit in it perfectly. I got the epipen patch from eBay.

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

Back
Top Bottom