• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for a atv mechanic (rebuilt aengine on a grizzly 450 )

legalizefreedom1776

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Reaction score
Recently had some top end work done on my wife's Grizzly 450. Now smoking like a freight train. Looking for someone to go through it all and get it back on the road.
Already had new piston and rings installed.
Thanks

Check your valve adjustment first, but that will usually only cause smoking on start up. Its really simple with some basic tools and a $10 feeler gauge. Just look up some videos on youtube. Sounds like your piston rings were installed incorrectly though.

My neighbor rebuilds all of his ATV and dirt bike motors himself. Not sure he wants to take on customers though...

But yeah, either the new ring were installed wrong, and cylinder possibly not honed correctly. Just guessing as I dont want to lead you wrong. Your valve guides could be worn out too, just like on a car.

Dumb question though, you didn't OVER fill it with oil did you? I have seen a few small engines smoke like crazy because people think they take as much oil as a car for some reason.

Lastly, I have had a float stick and cause gas to fill a cylinder causing it to seep into the crank case. Result was a gas/oil mix that filled the crank case causing it to smoke and run like total ****. I replaces my float needle and was back in business. Again, just throwing crap out there to see it anything rings a bell for you.

Back
Top Bottom