• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for a Carbon Steel Chef's Knife

BenStark

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
27   0
Reaction score
So about 7 years ago I bought my dad a Kai Kitchen Carbon Steel chef's knife while I was in Japan. Last year while he somehow managed to break it. I have been looking for another but all I can find are stainless steel knives. Does anyone have a good source for a good Carbon Steel (not Stainless) Chef's knife that I can get my dad for Christmas?

I also know we have a few bladesmiths on the forum if any would be interested in providing me with a quote to make a 6-7" chef's knife by Christmas.

GInsu-Logo_Medium_ID-2249635.jpg
lol

I really like Japanese knives. Easier to mistreat but you can get them stupid sharp and mine tend to keep their edges better than the German knives.

If you want inexpensive, the Tojiro DP series, which are stainless are hard to beat. If you're in ATL, I saw a couple at one of the Asian restaurant supply places a while back. So you might be able to check one out in person.

Korin is a good vendor that has several in Western style with carbon steel blades.

I haven't been keeping up for several years, but there are even some that have a carbon steel center with a stainless outer cladding to get the best of both worlds (carbon edge with less area to worry about rust). Not sure they're still made but the Hiromoto AS blades and some high end Watanabe knives (order direct from Japan!) are made this way.

That said, there are a few Old Hickory and random French knives that are in the family that I'll inherit eventually and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom