• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for an Attorney to help me with an estate.

Ex313

Air Force Icon Supporter
Wooba Gooba With The Green Teeth
13   0
Reaction score
Well my sister died around Thanksgiving. She didn't leave a will.
I'm working on getting all of her finances together, I haven't filed for executorship yet.
It's been suggested to me that I find an attorney to help me out with this.

Do we have any members here who handle this sort of thing? Or does anyone have an attorney they would recommend?

Thanks in advance

I'll PM you some tips.
It's not my area of practice, but having had both parents, a cousin, and a couple of clients pass away in the last 10 years, I've learned a few things.

Attorney Robert S. Meyring is my classmate from Emory law school, and he's made wills trusts and estate planning his primary practice area since day one.
That would include "probating an estate" --helping the executor of the will or the person appointed to that role by a Court carry out the duties of identifying & distributing the deceased's assets to the proper persons.

Meyring is located in Atlanta / Smyrna / Vinings.

Sorry for your loss. Not an attorney but went through this(being an executor, figuring up his finances) about 10 years ago when my grandad passed. Unless everyone is on board with you, prepare for a lot of fighting with family especially if anything of significant value is left like a house, cars, retirement accounts, etc. He had a will but it hadn't been updated in a while and certain family members thought they had rights to things... It's sad what it does to people.

Thanks guys. Lots of good information.
GAgunLAWbooklet GAgunLAWbooklet thank you for your email. I'm taking it into consideration.
I think I'll take a day off from work to get the ball rolling. I work from home but I'm constantly on the phone with people.
I've seen what happens when family members think they can go into an estate and grab things. It happened when my Grandfather in the UK died.
Fortunately, I don't have any family members creating problems.

My Dad passed a few years back without a will and my brother found a lawyer to probate the will. It wasn't outrageous and was probably a good investment since we were a blended family at this point. The lawyer charged a fixed amount and I think a paralegal did all the work. Hopefully, you could find something similar. BTW it took almost a year to settle the estate.

Re: Hiring a Lawyer
My parents received money as beneficiaries of my sisters insurance policy.
They're trying to get my dad into an assisted care home and the money might be a hurdle getting him in there. They hired a lawyer to help them through this process and she said she'd handled the estate issues in Ga as part of the package.
Which for me is a favorable outcome. :)
One of the things I've learned since this began, give your wife and kids POA over your stuff and vice versa in case something happens.
There were occasions where we'd call the last hospital we knew she was in only to find out she had been transferred someplace else. And of course the person on the phone didn't know where they went. I think if one of us had some sort of POA we could have arranged to make sure they notified us before they moved her.

Back
Top Bottom