• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for Black bear hunting tips in north Ga.

chrislibby88

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
67   0
Reaction score
I’ve been hearing that the black bear hunting is pretty good in the northern zone. Went on a deer hunt at Chestatee WMA last week. Got an awesome mountain buck and saw a ton of bear signs that really got me interested. Another hunter saw one on the ridge above the valley I was hunting but I never saw one. I want to return next year to mainly target bear, but I have no experience bear hunting. Hell I barely have any experience deer hunting, this is my first year seriously hunting since high school.

Does anyone have any tips/advice for hunting bear in the mountains? We only get one bear day in the central zone, and bears aren’t as numerous down here, so I would rather invest my time up north on a few 3-4 day hunts when the WMAs are open.

I know they eat a lot of the same food that deer do and share the same habitat, and they tend to move less when acorns or other food sources are plentiful.

Its on my bucket list also and I'm getting to the point where I need to make it happen or forget about it. Age wise.I can't find anybody to go with me and the wife don't want me in the mountains by myself. Plus I couldn't get one out by myself either.
My buddy just bought 15 acres that borders Swallow creek and we have been up there working on his place after he had the road system put in and put some cameras out. Hope we get some pics. It's hard hunting up there for us older people.

Its on my bucket list also and I'm getting to the point where I need to make it happen or forget about it. Age wise.I can't find anybody to go with me and the wife don't want me in the mountains by myself. Plus I couldn't get one out by myself either.
My buddy just bought 15 acres that borders Swallow creek and we have been up there working on his place after he had the road system put in and put some cameras out. Hope we get some pics. It's hard hunting up there for us older people.

Man I’m 29 and the mountain hunting is hard. Pulling a 123 lb carcass uphill for a mile almost did me in. Haha.

From what I have read the bears stick pretty close to a water supply, and prefer thick cover. Maybe try and find a trail near the creek and see what the trail cams say.

I hope someone with more knowledge than me chimes in. This is something I habe always wanted to do. It is hard to find good info too.
Well most of the bear hunters up north or out west spot and stalk, which really isnt possible down south with all the rich soil and heavy vegetation. Or they bait them, which doesn’t appeal to me. Never hunted anything over placed bait and don’t intend too.

Most of the info that I have found apply to these two approaches.

They don’t really hibernate down here, doesn’t get/stay cold enough. But if you’re going to kill one you’re best chance is before Thanksgiving. They seem to slow down after that. Hang an open can of sardines from a limb about 8 feet high and put a trail camera up to get some pics. Be sure to spray your camera down with scent killer and wear rubber gloves when you put it up, they like to destroy the cameras if they smell them. Very hard to try to pattern them without the ability to bait though. I hate the dang things, they’re all over my hunting property. I really don’t have any desire to shoot one though.

Back
Top Bottom