• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

looking for camper advice

Do you ever get used ones to sell?
I do but they normally sell before i even rebuild or fix them lol. I have alot of buyers,
The only project i have now that ill be listing is a 1996 or 1999 27' 5wheel. Currently replacing the roof and some interior work. I have about 4 or 5 1960-1980s campers that will make great hunting campers when done. I just sold the 3 newer ones i had in stock.

Yep its small but I love it. It does have a bathroom and everything else the big have but the room. Just got back from trout fishing and headed to the beach tomorrow
IMG_20210505_130516877_HDR.jpg

Assuming you will enjoy it, make sure the math works for you. I don't have one yet, but I've been doing a lot of homework. You've got to consider the real weight and payload capabilities of your vehicle, and completely ignore the camper manufacturer's advertised numbers. Just look at the camper's gross vehicle weight rating and assume that's where you'll be, with 13% of that on the trailer ball.

It seems the manufacturers under-rate the camper's true weight when in use, and the truck manufacturers over-rate the trucks' capabilities.

My 2016 F150 can "pull" maybe 10,000 - 13,000 lbs, but is only rated to tow up to about 6,500 lbs because of payload limitations of the truck.

One of my brothers loves pop-up campers. He has a construction business at a beach, so it's seasonal. He'll buy one used, and sell it when times get tough, but his Jeep will never be overloaded with a pop-up. He and his family do a lot of camping that way.

Great points. Definitely do plenty of research on weight and towing in general if you're not familiar. It's not tough to learn but there is a lot to it. Also, ignore what the RV dealer tells you. Pretty much every RV salesman I talked to (a lot) was terrible. Do your own homework.

On the rental thing... Meh. If you know you're going to like camping, an RV is great. If your vacations are normally at hotel resorts, an RV vacation may be a shock so yeah, rent one first.

My wife and I were talking to an RV dealer and told him we definitely wanted a washer/dryer in our camper. He said “You’ll never use it, waste of space and money.” We told him our son and DIL live in theirs full time as they travel the country and they love having a washer/dryer. He said “Huge waste, don’t even consider one.” We then said not only do our son and DIL love having one, when other rig owners come over, the first thing they say is they wish they had a w/d. He still said it was a waste. We walked after that.

Washer and dryer is an example of everybody has thier own wants. All the state parks I have stayed in dont have sewer. People have aux. Tanks they pull to the dump station but how often you want to do that?. Some COE's don't have water hook ups. IMHO. IF you want all the luxuries of home, stay home. I see folks in large campers, generator runs all day and I never see em. WTF?

My wife and i enjoy our camper we buy a late model used one keep it 3-4 years and usually break even on the resale. I have done this for the last twenty five years. If you are looking for a bumper pull camper look at the Rockwood line them are very well built and hold there value well.

Back
Top Bottom