• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

looking for fuel economy info on the new 6.6 liter Chevy gas (not the Duramax diesel) engine

jdav

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
Shopping & looking at the new Chevy 2500HD pick-ups. The 6.6 gas burner has replaced the tried & true 6.0 gas motor. Interested in truck only & pulling a load mileage info.
I’m looking for info on fuel mileage if anyone has bought one or know someone that has. With the mileage that I put on one for work the extra $8-10k for the diesel may not be an option.
Thanks

If you actually use a truck, diesel is the only option. That being said the 6.6 gas is a heavy drinker. Reviews I've seen puts it in the single digits towing

Thanks.

I’ve ran diesels in the past. Love a diesel & the torque. I have to swap out every 2-3 years due to depreciation & mileage. I lose more $ investing in a diesel. In 2-3 years I put 100-160k miles on it.
In a work truck it’s only a $8-10k increase in price over gas. Pricing crew cab SB Chevy 2500HD with only PS, PL, PW, & 4x4. $36k vs $45k...
Total cost of ownership is higher on the diesel.

A diesel is just barely broke in at 100,000. I've got some in the 250,000 range and one over 300,000. It's not uncommon to see road tractorss and hot shots over 1 million miles. Gassers depreciate must faster than even a high mileage diesel at least in my experience. For my money, diesel has way more pros than a gasser. Especially pulling gross. But that why I have 5 diesels and no gassers anymore. What makes you afraid of a diesel at 250,000 miles?

Not afraid of one. I’ve had a couple over 250k miles. I’ve got gassers over 240k to 400k.
A family member has an lly duramax with 500k on it with a recent engine swap just before 500k.
I’ve been looking at total cost of ownership. Even though we take the depreciation on taxes I’m not getting the dollar for dollar deduction.
The higher maintenance & fuel cost didn’t outweigh the fuel economy improvements when I did the math. Especially, since I’ll be towing 80-90% of the time.
I love a diesel & the torque like I said before. I’m just not up on the modern ones with all of the changes. Ran Cummins in the past. Not a Dodge fan but was a Cummins fan. If Ford still had the 7.3 Intl I would buy one of those in a second.

When towing at Max gross like I do the gassers get a whopping 5-8mpg my diesels stay at 11-12. Not a huge difference but gassers are supposed to get oil changed at 5k miles diesel go 15k. And that is a number now suggested by Cummins.. so that brings cost of gassers more inline

Yeah 2 6.7 Cummins, 2 6.7 powerstrokes and one 5.9 Cummins . One 6.7 Cummins is tuned with efi live and the other is with raceme mm3

Been running 5.7 Chevy small blocks for years, have seen them run well into the 500k miles on them. I get about 18 on the hwy with mine, not pulling anything. It has 4WD as well, (Suburban). I have owned both diesel and gas motors over the years, the extra cost of the diesel motor and higher fuel costs don't make fiscal sense to me, but to each his own. For heavy loads, perhaps the diesel is better, I don't pull heavy trailers.

Back
Top Bottom