• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for fund raising input

First of all, congratulations.

The honor of being selected to represent Team USA loses some of it's glamor when you are expected to pay your own way :frown:. How many other team members are there and do they have to do the same thing? Also, do team members have to buy their own equipment, gun, glass, ammo. etc? What about group rates for travel and accommodation, are they available through the Team USA organization? Uniforms, hats or shooting vests etc. Are you expected to foot the bill for everything?

For something like this I would expect that Team USA would be able to get grants or donations, either Federal or from manufacturers of rim-fire products. Your comments suggest that most, or all the other members of the team are sponsored. Does this mean that they are professionals in the sense that they are paid for their participation?

If you are good enough to represent the USA at anything, and you are chosen to join an organized team, then you shouldn't have to worry about the costs of getting to the venue and competing. You need to be able to compete with and open mind, free of worries about personal finances.

Good luck with this. I look forward to to hearing more about this "Team USA" organization and your participation.

First of all, congratulations.

The honor of being selected to represent Team USA loses some of it's glamor when you are expected to pay your own way :frown:. How many other team members are there and do they have to do the same thing? Also, do team members have to buy their own equipment, gun, glass, ammo. etc? What about group rates for travel and accommodation, are they available through the Team USA organization? Uniforms, hats or shooting vests etc. Are you expected to foot the bill for everything?

For something like this I would expect that Team USA would be able to get grants or donations, either Federal or from manufacturers of rim-fire products. Your comments suggest that most, or all the other members of the team are sponsored. Does this mean that they are professionals in the sense that they are paid for their participation?

If you are good enough to represent the USA at anything, and you are chosen to join an organized team, then you shouldn't have to worry about the costs of getting to the venue and competing. You need to be able to compete with and open mind, free of worries about personal finances.

Good luck with this. I look forward to to hearing more about this "Team USA" organization and your participation.
I appreciate it. It does take away from the excitement trying to figure out how to pay for it. There are around 20 shooters I believe combined with all the categories. The organization is the US Precision Rifle Association (USPRA). They had the first ever international centerfire match last year and this will be the first rimfire match so maybe as it grows there will be more options to help the shooters out. Most sponsored shooters don’t get paid but receive product and have allowances to cover match fees or travel. I would imagine those shooters would be able to reach out to their sponsors for additional support to attend the world championship match. I look forward to being able to share my experience once it’s over.

Sounds fun and congrats.

Maybe between donations (hard with things being as they are; without sponsors), part time job or working extra hours might could help cover the gaps, selling an extra car, or hobby toys. Maybe combination of all to help ease the pain.

Look for group rates on travel or stay with another shooter to split at least the hotel. Look for odd flight times to help with the cost of airfare.

Let us know how it goes.

If this is something you plan to continue… you’re going to have to bite the bullet and do the social media thing. Brands live and breathe on sites like Instagram… and if they can’t use you as a marketing tool… no one is just going to throw cash your way.

Social media can cost you nothing but your time sitting on the crapper. (Or a lot more depending in your goals).

As someone that represents some brands in the USPSA arena… it’s got very little to do with your performance… and more to do with your reach. Better get at it… (or become independently wealthy).

I've secured sponsorships for various reasons over the years. Build a press kit and shopping it to 2A brands; such as local gun shops, suppressor companies, ammo companies, etc. Those businesses will pay to have their logo on a shirt and banner at events like that. Any company that supports 2A would be your target; so even a car dealership may be an option. Be sure to take LOTS of pictures and videos for your sponsors. I'm happy to assist building a press kit and develop a sponsorship letter.

Another idea is to ask the ODT moderators if ODT could sponsor you. Slap the ODT logo on a shirt and banner.... bam! The Businesses on here could also contribute in exchange for placing their logo on your shirt and banner.

Maybe some such as:
Old South Excavating Old South Excavating
Construct More Pylons Construct More Pylons

I was sponsored for a number of years in 3gun. I'd wear sponsor's gear and use their stuff, but I often had to pay for the stuff (slight discount) myself. I would also work the matched. Go early, help RO and set up, that would often cover my match fee and you'd get a discount on the room/food some.

I would usually sell my prizes to help offset the travel costs, because as you're seeing it's an expensive adventure.

Also, unless you're VERY active on social media already OR an incredibly hot lady, you will likely get almost nowhere with cold-calling sponsor opportunities.

Back
Top Bottom