• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for land!

jsmith24ga

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
3   1
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Myself and some friends of mine are looking for land to lease where we can go to do some shooting, hunting or whatever else we feel like doing to be honest. I have googled till my fingers bled and cant seem to find any good resources online. We're looking for 20-30 acres here in GA. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi everyone,
Myself and some friends of mine are looking for land to lease where we can go to do some shooting, hunting or whatever else we feel like doing to be honest. I have googled till my fingers bled and cant seem to find any good resources online. We're looking for 20-30 acres here in GA. Thanks in advance for any help!
I would think you'd be hard press to find a tract that small for lease that will allow you to do "whatever you want".
If that's all you want just buy it. Land can still be had for $2k or less an acre and you're not going to lose any value (unless you do something really bizarre). And if you have more than one person to go in on it with you, that much easier (better be a REAL good friend.)

yeah, you need to identify some counties in which you think land would be cheap enough, and close enough to where you live, and then research their laws on shooting, noise ordinances, and land use / zoning restrictions. If you find a county that reasonably permits shooting and such, including building of a permanent and covered firing line and a backstop, then you can start looking for acreage for sale in that county.
Many counties have very restrictive laws on shooting or making noise, or building stuff that's not done with a building permit and land use permit and inspected by the government's safety and tax-collection agents.

Jasper county, just east of Butts county and not far from Jackson, GA, looks good.
Affordable homes, so I assume raw land is cheap enough as well.
The county has no ordinances on shooting, per se, but there is a noise ordinance that specifically EXEMPTS recreational shooting that is done in accordance with state law
(which says no shooting within 50 yards from public road, unless the shooting range is approved by the County as a public or private firing range / club, in which case it can be closer.)

I'd start my search there.

https://library.municode.com/ga/jasper_county/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIICOOR

Jasper county, just east of Butts county and not far from Jackson, GA, looks good.
Affordable homes, so I assume raw land is cheap enough as well.
The county has no ordinances on shooting, per se, but there is a noise ordinance that specifically EXEMPTS recreational shooting that is done in accordance with state law (50 yards from public road), unless the shooting range is approved by the County as a public or private firing range / club.

I'd start my search there.

https://library.municode.com/ga/jasper_county/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIICOOR

Yes. There are several large cutover timber tracks for sale now there that are not real expensive.

20200423_221119.jpg

Here's what you do.
  1. Dig a big hole in your backyard
  2. Answer wife's questions vaguely
  3. Purchase two shipping containers
  4. Drop containers in hole and weld together lengthwise
  5. Hire a divorce attorney
  6. Run electrical and wire in some lights
  7. Build an intake at one end and vent at the other
  8. Sign divorce papers your wife had served while your brilliance was at work
  9. Cover containers with dirt, then sod
  10. Congratulations, underground bunker/shooting range complete
Bonus: You're now single and this also doubles as your new home.

Back
Top Bottom