• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for pine bark fines...

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Sith Dark Lord
247   0
Reaction score
or cypress fines mulch somewhere near Newnan!! We are starting a backyard nursery (plants, not children :D ) and looking for a rooting/planting medium. From hours of research and YouTube videos; it seems that an inert bark (pine or cypress) is the preferred medium to root cuttings. It is that time of year and I'm having trouble finding bulk supplies via the internet locally. I do have a few possibilities, 1 in Fl and 1 in IL; neither of which list prices, that I will call next week. But I suspect shipping is going to make it cost prohibited to our fledgling endeavor :doh: Any help is appreciated!!!

112200_Southern_Pine_Bark_three_eight-1024x1024.jpg

i bought several tractor trailer loads from these folks a number of years ago. Used it to plant blueberries. Pine fines can be affected by a fungus that after it is contaminated with it, it will not absorb water. Not entirely a bad thing as a mulch as it allows the rain to pass through to the underlying soil, less desirable as a planting media.
tough time to start a business, best of luck.

i bought several tractor trailer loads from these folks a number of years ago. Used it to plant blueberries. Pine fines can be affected by a fungus that after it is contaminated with it, it will not absorb water. Not entirely a bad thing as a mulch as it allows the rain to pass through to the underlying soil, less desirable as a planting media.
tough time to start a business, best of luck
Thank you, I will give them a call next week to check pricing. And, it will be a year or better before we are a "business". Depending on how this propagating thing goes? We are going to start taking cuttings this weekend, hopefully. 6-8 weeks to root. Repot. Year or so to grow to selling size. Doesn't sound very profitable, but it is her current passion and it beats the hell out of 100s of chickens/ducks and mini cow wrangling!!! :pop2:

When we lived up north, there was a farm not far from us that made pots out of cow turds. You start and then just plant in the same pot. I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but here's the website.

When we lived up north, there was a farm not far from us that made pots out of cow turds. You start and then just plant in the same pot. I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but here's the website.

No, but thank you. Looking for pots to start cuttings in, then several larger sizes to re pot in as they grow until they are saleable sizes. I found the pots; now if I can find the dirt to put in them... :doh:

Back
Top Bottom