• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for popcorn ceiling testing & removal

nocomply

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
105   0
Reaction score
My wife and I are looking to get a quote on testing and removal of the popcorn ceiling on our house.
It was built in 86 and we are not sure if the popcorn was original or added at a later date.
Located in 30102.
Thanks

I sprayed a lot of it in the 70's. I am still alive. Why do you wan to remove it? Always thought it looked pretty good. Gonna be a pain and big mess. Scrape and sand.

I sprayed a lot of it in the 70's. I am still alive. Why do you wan to remove it? Always thought it looked pretty good. Gonna be a pain and big mess. Scrape and sand.
Scrape, re-skim mud and then sand. Most drywall guys will only tape and skim 1 coat before applying popcorn texture so the seams will show if going to a slick finish.

There is a shortcut of sorts for DIY if you like big messes - use a Rug Doctor type carpet steamer upside down and suck it off. My neighbor actually did this to his whole house.

You will still need someone with mud skills to finish coat the ceiling after.

It scrapes off pretty easy IF it has never been painted. The stuff soaks up latex paint so a good painter knows to seal it first with shellac (bulls eye primer) . Prolly been painted as old as it is. I would leave it be. To remove it you will be removing the paper on the sheet rock as well. In that case, you will have to mud it sand it, prime wit an oil based primer. This will stiffen the fiber in the sheet rock paper so you can sand it off without leaving fur. Prolly skim it with mud again and sand again. Now, how smooth is it? I have seen wall covering on ceilings that looked good and stamped tin. You could put the tin over the popcorn.

Back
Top Bottom