• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for progressive press. Which one should I buy?

kb34

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
37   0
Reaction score
I’m looking to get a progressive press. I’ve outgrown my single stage and want to upgrade to a progressive. Currently I load 45acp, 9mm, 223, 8mm Mauser, and 300BO. I would like a press that is inexpensive (this is relative, I mean low cost not cheap.) and swaps over to other calibers easily. The 8mm and 300BO will probably stay on the single stage as those are low quantity loads.

I’m not looking to spend a couple grand on a reloading setup, as much as I do enjoy reloading, I want to keep cost at a minimum without sacrificing quality.

Which one would you recommend? And why?

Dillon is the easiest to change calibers but they changes cost more. Dillon uses caliber specific parts for the caliber changes whereas Hornady is more adjustable. Adjustable = Finicky. If you are cost sensitive and don't mind spending a bit more time adjusting the LNL AP would be a better choice. If you want caliber changes to take minutes and don't mind spending the money, A dillon 650 with a tool head for each caliber would be the choice. I have both and will eventually get rid of one.

Depends on what you are looking to load. I only see one caliber you listed that might cause a problem on a Dillon 650. Many 9mm have crimped primers. The 650 will not swage them so you will have to presort them to avoid any problems seating the primers. The 1050 has a swager but is twice the price of a 650. Tool heads for a 650 run less than $30.00. I second the 650. I usually use prepped brass to avoid the crimp issue. Love my 650. Change over usually takes 10 minutes or less if I already have a tool head setup for the caliber I need to load. No special dies required. The Dillon can use all manufactures dies.

Dillon 650. I have owned most all of them at one time or another, LEE, RCBS, Hornady. Dillon is the best. It also holds its value better than anything you can get. RCBS and Hornady are great companies, but the Dillon is just my favorite and the 650 is my favorite Dillon especially with the Casefeeder. If you are loading tons of one caliber then the Dillon 1050 is the way to go.

Depends on what you are looking to load. I only see one caliber you listed that might cause a problem on a Dillon 650. Many 9mm have crimped primers. The 650 will not swage them so you will have to presort them to avoid any problems seating the primers. The 1050 has a swager but is twice the price of a 650. Tool heads for a 650 run less than $30.00. I second the 650. I usually use prepped brass to avoid the crimp issue. Love my 650. Change over usually takes 10 minutes or less if I already have a tool head setup for the caliber I need to load. No special dies required. The Dillon can use all manufactures dies.

I tend to prep all my brass before loading, so that’s not a big issue.

General concenseous seems to be for a Dillon. What are everyone’s thoughts between the 550 and the 650?

Back
Top Bottom