• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for progressive press. Which one should I buy?

If you shoot the 45 enough, I would get either a Dillon 550, or 650 in 45ACP to start. If you shoot the 9mm more, I would start with that caliber.

The 650 has a much better priming system—-in my opinion. It has more leverage, and feeds primers more reliably.

The 550 is easier to stop, start, change calibers, and re-adjust. Changing between large and small primer size is faster on the 550. However, once the 650 is setup, you can load a lot of ammo. I usually do at least 300, if I do any at all.

The 45ACP shell plate will work on the Mauser (mauser, 308, and 30.06 family as well).
You can buy the correct individual powder funnel for the Mauser at the same time. That will get you going on two calibers.

Next, get the 9mm conversion kit.

Next, get the 223 shell plate/conversion kit. That shell plate will work for the 300BLK as well, but you will need to get a powder funnel for the 300. I normally do all of my 223 primer work on the single stage. The crimps sneek into the mix.

You can buy the parts for the caliber conversions separately as individual pieces.

When doing rifles, it helps to have at least two tool heads, one for decapping and sizing, one for the actuall reloading after the case is prepped.

One other thing: if you buy Dillon, I recommend avoiding all of the supposed upgrades from after market profiteers. I have not seen anything that really helps improve the press. Loading with fast arm movement or to full case on a 650 will spill powder, it is just that way. I put my finger or the projectile on top of the charged case as it rotates to the next position, where it get a bullet seated.

General concenseous seems to be for a Dillon. What are everyone’s thoughts between the 550 and the 650?
I have a single stage RCBS that I use for developing loads, and if I feel I need to control more about the loading process. Like you I tend to do all my brass prep and then load where I just have to prime, drop powder, load bullet and crimp if needed.

I went with the 550. partially because I don't load thousands of cases at a time (I'll do a few hundred here and there when I have time and components) but also because of cost and loading a lot of different calibers. I have 15 or 20 tool heads, and each one set up for different calibers. Wish I had more than 2 powder measures, but for now it's good enough and I can load as many as I would need in a pretty short period of time. I didn't see the "upgrades" of the 650 as needed for myself, but if you are doing more volume the case feeder might be nice and the auto indexing could save a few minutes. Really the main thought for me was if you need/want the case feeder, go to the 650. If you don't need it, stick with the 550.

It all depends upon your budget, but I am able to load plenty with my 550 to keep me happy.

another vote for the Dillon, Ive owned a 550 and I currently own a 650. Wouldn't look back. the 550 might be easier to switch calibers on though

I have not owned anything other than Dillon......Square Deal, 550, 650. I would get the most you can afford.

Although you may wish to buy it from Dillon or an ODT member that sells them locally, you can price it out on Grafs.com

Dillon 650, you will have it for the rest of your life and pass it onto your kids. I hate to say it but spend the little extra and go Dillon.

Dillon 650, you will have it for the rest of your life and pass it onto your kids. I hate to say it but spend the little extra and go Dillon.
Forgot to mention earlier, Dillon's warranty on the 550 and 650 is one of the best in the industry. Lifetime no BS Warranty!! Send them a message for what broke of wore out and they send you the parts at no charge.

Just wanted to make sure you understood there is a good in-between option for your situation.

When you say you looked at the lee turret, do you know for certain you looked at the Lee Classic Cast Turret. It's a dramatically better product than the original Lee turret presses. Lee did a crappy job with the product names; sometimes people look at the older, inferior models and come away with the wrong impression of product quality.

Yeah, I looked at that one. I have a Lee single stage right now, it just takes quite a while to load anything.

I don't mind spending a little extra to get a superior product. I do like the auto index and the case feeder. While at this time I do not shoot thousands of rounds, or reload thousands of rounds, I know if I had the capability to load much faster then I would shoot and load more. From what I've heard so far, most people recommend the Dillon, whether it be here, Youtube, or anywhere else. I'm just trying to get opinions on why to get one over another.

Easy to swap calibers?

Once dies are set it takes Minutes to swap cal between pistol Reloadering. 1/4 turn lock them same every time. Swap out preset powder drop or just a few moments to adjust powder drop if you only have one.

I'm loadin 10mm now and going slow (I'm a newbie reloader only) get 200-300 rnds in an hour or two.

Chevy vrs ford. Both great customer service

You will be able to sell it for a reasonable % amount if you ever regret buying it, and I think that is true for any brand or model.

I own two 650’s, and have sold a 550, a 650, and a square deal. They all sold in a short preiod of time on this web site.

Back
Top Bottom