• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for progressive press. Which one should I buy?

My reloading presses have been a Lee turrent, HLNL ammo plant and 650xl with case feeder. Was not a fan of the ammo plant. To many stoppages, got rid of it. My Dillon runs great. Love the case feeder but your going to spend $900+. The Lee turrent press ran great but i wanted more then 150+ and hour. IMHO if you can't spend the $900 look at the Lee turrent a lot cheaper, runs just limited production.

Dillon is the easiest to change calibers but they changes cost more. Dillon uses caliber specific parts for the caliber changes whereas Hornady is more adjustable. Adjustable = Finicky. If you are cost sensitive and don't mind spending a bit more time adjusting the LNL AP would be a better choice. If you want caliber changes to take minutes and don't mind spending the money, A dillon 650 with a tool head for each caliber would be the choice. I have both and will eventually get rid of one.

Bet it will not be the "BIG BLUE DILLON."

Bet it will not be the "BIG BLUE DILLON."

Ah that’s the way it leaning. I use the Hornady more because it doesn’t have the case feed so less to change. I will sometimes load a run of 300blk then some pistol in the same sitting. The 650 isn’t really conducive to that unless you spend a few hundred per caliber. You could practically have 3 lnl aps for less than a 650 with two complete tool heads and all the conversion parts.

This where my interest in firearms and politics can come into conflict. My first reaction to the thread title was, "CNN, MSNBC, NPR... Hell, take your pick."

Ah that’s the way it leaning. I use the Hornady more because it doesn’t have the case feed so less to change. I will sometimes load a run of 300blk then some pistol in the same sitting. The 650 isn’t really conducive to that unless you spend a few hundred per caliber. You could practically have 3 lnl aps for less than a 650 with two complete tool heads and all the conversion parts.

That is the direction that I have beeñ moving in. 1 press per caliber group with dedicated powder measures. .45 auto and .223 get their own machine.

i have them both, you're welcome to try them both. I'd say...if you have many calibers...LNL for sure. If you do just a few...maybe a dillon.

either way, you can't lose. I'm a fan of both

Back
Top Bottom