• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for steal I-Beams/Support beams

The prefab engineered wood beams are waaaayyyyyy lighter to handle and should be cheaper and should support just about any residential vertical load. You can join them together side by side in place with structural grade screws to further reduce the handling weight.

If you start tryin to work with a steel beam in your basement without a crane or a lot of rigging gear you will likely have a situation develop.
I’ll look at those. I’m not looking to use heavy column steel, just something strong enough to reinforce a wall. Almost like soldier beams

Getting the steel connections to code will prolly be $$$, also. Find a friendly lumberyard they will help you.
I got a buddy that’s gonna give me the run down on codes. He’s a GC so hopefully he’s a construction engineer. He can get me everything I need, but I’m trying to do it as cheap as possible. He ain’t too cheap lol

Go to a local builders supply house. Theyll have someone there that can assist you in sizing the beam if you dont want to involve an engineer. Definitely go LVL if you’re able. Much much lighter and you sandwich them in. Easily a two man operation as opposed to a two hernia operation with the steel beam.

Looks like you’re in Acworth, Pmc Lumber in Marietta will definitely have LVL Beams. I agree their way easier than steel. Perfectly acceptable for any standard residential load. Really there’s not a lot of cost involved with opening up walls and putting beams in. Just a standard stuff like fixing the floor and sheet rock. That’s if you do it yourself.

Where’d you buy ?

I use Cofer Brothers in Tucker. Duron Green over there will spec the beam/beams out for you. If you give him the dimensions of the rooms/roof areas you are trying to support, he will punch all that into the computer and tell you what size beam you need.

Back
Top Bottom