• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for steal I-Beams/Support beams

looking to finish my basement but, I have a bow on the main support wall. I’ve read about using steel I-Beams to support the wall, so I can close it in and know it’s not going anywhere. Anybody know where I can find some steel that’s reasonably priced?

You really need to get an architect or engineer to check out what's happening there.

A bow in a wall is no bueno. Could be poor workmanship or poor materials. Could be a lot more going on than is obvious.

I'd get it diagnosed properly before assuming a beam can fix it right.

Whats causing the deflection? Old, span too long, load from above, or the most often over looked item is a uplift on the end creating a dip in the middle.

LvLs are great but take up more space when compared to steel. Your jack studs won't change.

I am a fan of LVL because you can temp support the ceiling on both sides, cut your joist, mount your LVL, use Simpson Ties from HD or Lowes and have some wood to nail and finish too.

EDIT: I did not see where you plainly said WALL.....and I was thinking floor. BUt most applied but is more involved. Follow the load up to the roof and back down.

I can't remember the name of it but their is a LVL company in Acworth that will sell you everything cut to length and give you the screw layout to fasten them together. They are a smaller company. I am going to give them a shot when I get my downstairs cleared out for new flooring. We have floor trusses in our house with a 26 foot span. They are sagging a good bit. Doors aren't closing properly anymore. I'm not a fan of them at all (floor trusses).

Have you tried using L.V.L's instead of steel beams?.

this, used them to shore up my main house floor. Stack laminated beam the builder put in sagged 1 inch. they were easy to handle. Jacked it all up and used a set of metal screw jacks to hold it all in place while I attached

this, used them to shore up my main house floor. Stack laminated beam the builder put in sagged 1 inch. they were easy to handle. Jacked it all up and used a set of metal screw jacks to hold it all in place while I attached

20180521_102655.jpg

3- 19" LVL BEAMS ON A 12' Span. Above all this is 2 Floors Plus the Roof.

You really need to get an architect or engineer to check out what's happening there.

A bow in a wall is no bueno. Could be poor workmanship or poor materials. Could be a lot more going on than is obvious.

I'd get it diagnosed properly before assuming a beam can fix it right.
yea. I had an engineer come out and this is what he recommended. Obviously he was willing to do all the work, but wanted $13K. and that aint an option.

Back
Top Bottom