• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for target organization that has mil surp division

ComBlocCollector

Default rank <50 posts
Previously ComBlockCollector
4   0
Reaction score
I recently got my hands on a Swiss K31 and I really want to get into longer range target shooting. I am a complete novice when it comes to long range, most of my experience is in pistol action shooting. I am a member of the Georgia Sport Shooting Association, but their website is.... lacking. I don’t want to drive to Ohio to the NRA stuff. I was wondering if there was another organization that held semi-regular more local competitions. Thanks for the help!

I don't know about ranges near you in Milledgeville, but I know of two "private" gun clubs closer to Atlanta that regularly have NRA (or C.M.P.) highpower rifle matches, and those matches are open to the public, not just for Club members, if you have the right kind of firearm and a basic understanding of how to use it safely. Those highpower matches always allow open-sighted military surplus rifles. Maybe once a year they'll have a special match ONLY for that kind-- unmodified, as-issue milsurps that are of the WWII generation or older.

Riverbend Gun Club has a good highpower rifle program. Sometimes they have three events per month that would suit your gun.
http://rbgc.org/hipower/hipower.htm
Well, maybe just two. I don't know how well iron-sighted military rifles would do on the metallic sihlouette range. Those targets are sized to be a challenge to folks with high-magnification scopes.

The 200- 300- 600 yard "across the course" match is a lot of fun. And since the targets and cardboard backer sheets are something like 7 feet x 7 feet, you can be 'on paper' with your first shot at 600 yards if you were hitting in the black at 200.

South River Gun Club in Covington has highpower rifle matches, too.
They shoot at 200 and 300 yards, and then "simulate" the 600 yard stage by using a different sized target with the scoring rings closer together. But it's really shot at 300 yards, so your sights would keep the same zero.

https://www.southrivergunclub.com/club-activities/high-power-rifle

Back
Top Bottom