• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for the best factory load 243 for hunting.........

Fusions are hard to beat. If I didn't reload, I'd still use them

The bonded properties of the Fusion, coupled with accuracy equates to a very successful hunting load in the 243. Tried and true for my youngest son and his Model 70 compact FW. My oldest son, 12, uses a 7mm-08 with 120 gr. Fusions and they are equally awesome. I've used the fusion bullets in everything from .223 to 338 federal and they simply work.

Federal power shok 100 grain is good accurate load and reasonable as well! You can buy a lot higher priced round but it won't kill them any deader! I use federal power shok in all the calibers I shoot if they make them in it. Always accurate and performance is excellent!

FWIW, when I hunted deer here in Ga. with a .243... I used a 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip...that was loaded 20 years ago by Georgia Arms... was well over 3,000 FPS....every one of the six or seven deer that i shot dropped right there like a sack of rocks... Don't know if they still load it... but it was sub moa and a guaranteed meat on the table round...

HTH

I have used a 243 for many years now and find that if you use 100 gr SP ammo and hit them in the head, neck, or boiler room they all work great. My last 7 deer haven't moved further than 20 ft. Just make sure you have a good zero on your gun, take your time, and make the first shot count.

If you can find them, Winchester Power Max Bonded. They have worked incredibly well for me on deer.
ok, so I know I am opening Pandora's box for all kinds of arguments. But I am not looking to start all that. Just looking for a few suggestions on you guys that experience with different loads and bullet weights and styles. I don't reload, so I am looking for a off the counter box. My kids have been hunting with my old 243 for years. I didn't use it much for deer and that's what they are hunting for. It's been accurate with all brands and has done a good job. But in the past I just bought what was on sale that I had shot before and knew was accurate in the gun. I am needing to order some new rounds for it and was knocked over when I went online to order. The federals that I had last year were either in the 90 or 100 grain range. I believe I want to stay with that, 8o on the low side. These are for my kids that are usually pretty accurate on their shoots. But I want to leave room in here for an accidental marginal shot. I get that I will need to test different brands and bullets for accuracy. But let's take that out of the equation.. this is about all around performance, knock down, and lethal performance. Thanks to all for your input.

This will be a Winchester model 70 bolt gun as well if that matters.

Matt
Matt I would suggest the 95 gr. a lot of 243 will not shoot the 100 grains as they tumble and cause a key hole as the rifling has to be faster twist to stabilized the heavier bullet.

If you're going for factory, go for federal fusions. Up until this year that's all I hunted with but this year I've got some reloads that I believe are going to be way better than a fusion.

Edit I do still use fusions in my .30-30.

The Barnes TTSX bullet is the best hunting bullet in the world. (IMO) Because it retains 99% of it's weight, the 80 grain TTSX has just as good (actually better) terminal ballistics as more traditionally designed 95 or 100 grain bullets while providing a flatter trajectory, higher velocity and less recoil. They are also inherently accurate. I have loaded this bullet in 243 for many people in the past and all the feedback I have gotten on performance in the field has been very positive.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...-shock-x-bullet-boat-tail-lead-free-box-of-20

FWIW, when I hunted deer here in Ga. with a .243... I used a 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip...that was loaded 20 years ago by Georgia Arms... was well over 3,000 FPS....every one of the six or seven deer that i shot dropped right there like a sack of rocks... Don't know if they still load it... but it was sub moa and a guaranteed meat on the table round...

HTH
still have a box here.

Back
Top Bottom