• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to buy a dependable .22lr Semi-Automatic Handgun. Suggestions?

Having my Dead Air Mask sit in the safe for months never getting shot I finally broke down and bought the new Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite after a bit of research. I can't give any firsthand feedback as of yet because it's sitting at Quiet Riot waiting on me to swing by and pick it up.

As stated above by palmettomoon palmettomoon the previous Mark series Rugers have complaints about breakdown and the triggers. Ruger redesigned the Mark IV for one button disassembly and aftermarket trigger kits are readily available from Volquartsen.

Drop in trigger kit: https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/1089

Pick of Mark IV lite I went with:
images.jpg

I'm not beating the horse but I have to point out that older target/plinkers are much better made than new pistols, especially in .22s.

I bought this at the Perry gunshow last year in a box of parts I really wanted. The parts were worth more than the price agreed so the pistol was basically gratis.

I sent the barrel of to EWKarms.com and Eric installed a recessed adapter on the muzzle threaded for the Guardian. No cutting, no setting back of the sight, no change to the crown or point of impact.
$125 or thereabouts, shipping included.

18010798_1510265152341255_7638386163597839868_n.jpg

Have to admit I'm a Ruger fanboy, but it's hard to argue with the SR-22.

There's a threaded bbl version if you have a can, but either way you have a very compact, reliable, easy to shoot, kid-friendly (if need be) gun that works with any full power round. In fact it's often run off 22 that it's not supposed to, and that would be single-shot only in any other gun. It's the ideal plinker, kit gun, woods gun... even self-defense if that's all someone can handle.

Literally the only thing I don't like about it is that the safety get's released by pushing up, not down.

It's also very wallet friendly, unlike the (good) Ruger Mk4, the (excellent) S&W Victory or the (overpriced) Browning Buckmarks, all of which will cost you a fair amount more.

Back
Top Bottom