• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to buy a dependable .22lr Semi-Automatic Handgun. Suggestions?

I didn't see the post, I apologize. I haven't bought anything yet. I'm waiting to see if I can test fire a few different ones first, before I buy one.

Folks can tell you levis, wranglers or apple bottom jeans are best.

For them perhaps, for you try them out and make your own decision, it's what really counts.

Ruger SR 22 and close the thread, will eat anything you put in it and with mine I went about 1,500 round through it before I cleaned it as sort of a torture test. No ammo I've found that it's picky about. That was with running a suppressor so you can imagine how dirty it was.

I didn't see the post, I apologize. I haven't bought anything yet. I'm waiting to see if I can test fire a few different ones first, before I buy one.
That's a very good plan and I didn't mean to mislead. I was referring to a thread a did about a year ago, not a post in this thread.

That's a very good plan and I didn't mean to mislead. I was referring to a thread a did about a year ago, not a post in this thread.

Oh okay. I understand now. A ODT member has a Ruger Mk 3 that he's going to let me shoot a bit, and a gun range near me had a Browning 1911-22 and a M&P 22 that I'm going to try out. I want something that will last for a good long while.

Oh okay. I understand now. A ODT member has a Ruger Mk 3 that he's going to let me shoot a bit, and a gun range near me had a Browning 1911-22 and a M&P 22 that I'm going to try out. I want something that will last for a good long while.

Be sure to shoot the Buckmark last.

Excellent idea!!! Take along several different flavors of ammo too, to see any differences in function, accuracy, etc. You will probably find one that feels just right, but doesn't shoot very well and another that is just the opposite. Such is life.

These are my observations from the rimfire steel challenge matches. For those that don't participate, these matches tend to push the shooter and the gun quite hard. Flaws that wouldn't be noticed in casual shooting show up rather quickly.

Buckmarks do well.
Any of the Ruger Mk series pistols do well with the exception of the Lites.
M&P 22.
SR 22
Browning 1911/22.
S&W 22A.
Beretta Neos.

The folks that showed up last month with two S&W Victory's had issues.

.22 ammo quality has been inconsistent lately. I started out the last match running new Federal Auto Match. It would not run in either the M&P 22 nor the 10/22. I swapped over to Aguila Super Extra for the duration of the match and had no more ammo related issues. Don't determine a gun's reliability by one or two brands of ammo.

I've yet to see a brand new .22 runnreliably out of the box. 500-1000 rounds seems to be the minimum to get things running smoothly.

I was looking for one recently also, couldn't decide between the mp22 compact , mk4 or a sr22. Mainly getting to plink and for the kids to start on. I settled on the sr22. Think I went with the wrong one. The trigger in da is creepy and awkwardly cheap feeling. Shoots good, no issues with ammo so far and an overall good gun. If you were closer I'd say swing by and shoot it before you invest in one though. I'm putting it on here so I can get a mk3/4

May be a drive for you but country boys sports in homer is the
Excellent idea!!! Take along several different flavors of ammo too, to see any differences in function, accuracy, etc. You will probably find one that feels just right, but doesn't shoot very well and another that is just the opposite. Such is life.
only place I'll buy a gun. It's right off 441 about 5 min north of commerce. The owner is a retired trooper and has been known to walk you outside to shoot a few if your having issues choosing. And above all that ANY new gun has a lifetime warranty through him.

Back
Top Bottom