• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to buy my daughter a safe, reliable first car under $6000? Suggestions

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I'm looking and would rather buy from an ODT member or used car dealer.
I'm looking at cars newer than 2008
Mazda 3
Honda
Chevy Malibu
Toyota
Subaru Impreza

Any others?

Toyota is your clear winner here. But it will be tough in this current market to find one that's not miled up in your price range. Lot's of folks swear by Honda but just to ME they can't beat Toyota. Only Honda I would like to have is the Element which has been discontinued quite a while.
I really dig Subaru especially after working at the port and driving lots of them. But if you ask the mechanics around here you will hear accounts of bad engines in certain models and years. But Subaru people have a cult following just as much as Toyota. I like the looks ( AND the standard AWD feature) of the older Outback and older boxier Forester. Only Imprezza models I drove were all WRX models which of course you do NOT want for a new driver. But Subaru represents a lot of value for the price ,new or used.
Piint is, for ME it would be Toyota, Subaru and then Honda as far as candidates.

Surely Toyota or Honda…
You know I should ammend my earlier comment. I recently helped load over 400 printed T shirts for Jay's Hope ( pediatric cancer charity) into a Honda Fit. I had never given them a second look since they look like pretty much everything else. But the rear seats fold up in such a way that it's like having a small mini van that gets very good MPG. So even though I don't like the looks of a 4 door hatchback I would take one of those at the right deal.

You know I should ammend my earlier comment. I recently helped load over 400 printed T shirts for Jay's Hope ( pediatric cancer charity) into a Honda Fit. I had never given them a second look since they look like pretty much everything else. But the rear seats fold up in such a way that it's like having a small mini van that gets very good MPG. So even though I don't like the looks of a 4 door hatchback I would take one of those at the right deal.
Wifey's car now is a freaking expensive Murano Platinum ... BUT before going into Nissan dealer, we ALMOST got a Honda Fit! Like you said, they look weird but reviews on it are TOP notch!!!

Wifey's car now is a freaking expensive Murano Platinum ... BUT before going into Nissan dealer, we ALMOST got a Honda Fit! Like you said, they look weird but reviews on it are TOP notch!!!
Best part about Nissan is that as far as I recall they still use chains instead of timing belts. To this day I still don't get why any car company would put all that faith in a damn rubber belt.

Back
Top Bottom