• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to buy my daughter a safe, reliable first car under $6000? Suggestions

Here's another vote for Toyota -- I had a Corolla with airbags that sipped gas and never gave me problems. A friend had a Honda fit and his was recalled for transmission issues.

Suzuki Grand Vitara with the 4 cylinder. Four door compact SUV. Not powerful (a good thing for a young driver). Gets about 25mpg mixed driving. Can usually be found fairly cheap, and runs well with minimal fuss. Parts are a bit of a hassle, should you need them, but other than that, it's a safe, competent car for a young person. We've had a 2011 in the family since it was new, and it's my son's now. It's never had an unscheduled trip to the mechanic. The only non-maintenance part I've replaced to date is the resistor for cabin blower. Cheap to insure, too.

Pretty much most of the Toyotas would be a good bet, and Subaru's if find a mechanic that can work on and service it. The daughter had one she totaled the first year driving and now has another, both of them over 10 years old, the totaled car had 150K on it, (nothing but oil, battery and starter) the second Forrester has 185K, and done nothing. Both were bought used with right at 100K on them. The Mrs' also has a Subaru with 180K on it, the only non maintenance item on it was a head gasket job (common with Subaru's). I have Toyota trucks.

Subarus can be a great deal for a safe car if you can keep up with the maintenance. They are very safe, the Forrester is like a fishbowl as far as visibility is concerned and the all wheel drive is excellent in keeping you on the road during our frequent downpours and infrequent snows. You can find a 2007-2010 Forrester in your price range with somewhat low miles as well.

Make sure you can document when the timing belt was changed or, factor an immediate timing belt service into the price. I always factor it into the price buying a used on, and just send it straight over to the mechanic to get that and the water pump done.

Stop by and I will put you in one of my fine baby’s.
0EFD99C3-1B55-41FC-9F4F-75A65DE1FB97.jpeg

Toyota or Honda. In this markert the budget is a very limiting factor. Most ones I see in that range your going have to put a little money in to catch up all the maintenance items.

Used cars are hard to find good used cars right are very hard to find especially on a budget.

Good luck.

Can’t beat Honda ! I’ve got 99 CRV that we put 276,000 miles on so far and still going strong. Wife gave her 2013 pilot to our daughter in July and I bought her a 21 CRV touring! Just can’t beat them.

Back
Top Bottom