• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking To Buy My First .223/5.56 Can

The SureFire cans leak gas from the back of the can. They call it a venting system. I shot the SOCOM 762 RC-2 on a SCAR 17S and it was fine, but I think owner had a better gas jet on the rifle. I dont think its that much of a problem personally, but to each is own.

Ok, I've heard conflicting things on .223/5.56 cans. I have surefire muzzle devices on all my ars but I've heard they leak gas. I'm looking for something for home defense, FA rated, and something rated for as short as a 11.85" barrel.

Ok, I've heard conflicting things on .223/5.56 cans. I have surefire muzzle devices on all my ars but I've heard they leak gas. I'm looking for something for home defense, FA rated, and something rated for as short as a 11.85" barrel.

I have a Surefire SOCOM and several AAC cans; never had an issue like you described.

Also, if I may offer my opinion on your post ... this is just my humble opinion, but I wouldn't use a can for home defense. I know this is very debatable topic, but my reasoning behind this, among other things, is that I want them and all their pals hearing the sound of death if they come into my house. I want dragon's breath raining hell down on them. I also would want my neighbors to hear the "****'s going down at the Beaver's house" sound should I ever be so unlucky to be in a home invasion situation. I would want any intruder to hear the incredibly loud sound of GET THE **** OUT OF MY HOUSE.

If you want to save money, drill a small hole in your existing charging handle. I’ve done it with 2 of my personal ARs, and we did it in the Marines when we were issued Surefire cans.

I have a Surefire SOCOM and several AAC cans; never had an issue like you described.

Also, if I may offer my opinion on your post ... this is just my humble opinion, but I wouldn't use a can for home defense. I know this is very debatable topic, but my reasoning behind this, among other things, is that I want them and all their pals hearing the sound of death if they come into my house. I want dragon's breath raining hell down on them. I also would want my neighbors to hear the "****'s going down at the Beaver's house" sound should I ever be so unlucky to be in a home invasion situation. I would want any intruder to hear the incredibly loud sound of GET THE **** OUT OF MY HOUSE.

Lol. Good reasoning. But if you haven’t fired a gun inside a home with no hearing protection, you’ll wish you had a suppressor. The concussion can severely mess up your equilibrium. Been there, done that and it’s not fun. Not to mention, if there’s others in the house it will scare the bejeebus out of them. Lol

Lol. Good reasoning. But if you haven’t fired a gun inside a home with no hearing protection, you’ll wish you had a suppressor. The concussion can severely mess up your equilibrium. Been there, done that and it’s not fun. Not to mention, if there’s others in the house it will scare the bejeebus out of them. Lol

I have and I know that sound is not fun. ****ed me up. If I ever train indoors now, I'll double up with plugs and muffs. 4-8 guys in a house shooting AR's is loud as ****, but if several dudes bum rush my house, my hearing is the last thing on my mind. You have a really good point though. I have several suppressed SBR's and I know you know, but even a suppressed AR is loud as ****, just not near as loud as unsuppressed for anyone else reading this that hasn't experienced what we're both talking about.

Definitely going to hear a suppressed AR next door, unless your neighbor is very far away. I’ve shot a 16” 556 suppressed AR from inside my house. Still had ringing, even with both doors open. If I have an intruder, I want every advantage it can get over them.

Back
Top Bottom