• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to get into waterfowling

I went on my first duck hunt a few weeks back in Missouri. It was truly awesome. Everyone told me I'd sell my deer rifle and take up duck hunting once I got a taste.... I haven't sold my deer rifle, but it's definitely something I wanna do again. We killed a lot of birds and it was an action packed 3 days... watching the dogs work is awesome.

I'm far from an expert, but I tried to get into waterfowl hunting several years ago and here's the bad news. As far as I can tell, the closest good population of waterfowl to Atlanta is Guntersville Lake in Alabama and it's heavily hunted. You can get into some Wood Ducks (two bird limit last I checked) round here and occasionally something else will pop up, but other than that it's mostly almost tame Geese. Atlanta is just about as far away from a migratory flyway as you can get in the Eastern US.

There may be exceptions to this, but I found it was a lot of work and increasing expense for very few shooting opportunities.

Definitely not opposed to shooting some geese. F&S had an interesting article a few issues ago about a group of guys that were pretty dedicated to hunting resident goose populations. I haven’t eaten of ton goose, but what I have eaten has always been good.

More broadly I have heard that Atlanta is a tough spot to get into birds, but that doesn’t mean I’m not determined!

I went on my first duck hunt a few weeks back in Missouri. It was truly awesome. Everyone told me I'd sell my deer rifle and take up duck hunting once I got a taste.... I haven't sold my deer rifle, but it's definitely something I wanna do again. We killed a lot of birds and it was an action packed 3 days... watching the dogs work is awesome.
Was your Missouri hunt guided? I’ve had a few people tell me to just suck it and learn from a pro on a guided hunt. I understand that it increases odds of success and action, but I’m a big game hunter so I’m used to coming home empty handed!

If it was guided would you recommend who you went with? Shoot me a PM if you want to discuss off the board.

Two things you need to know. It's addictive and it's expensive. I would always recommend hunting with someone. I had a friend who almost drowned because they fell and their waders filled up.

If you ever get into a good hunt it is amazing. Especially if you get to watch the dog work.

Was your Missouri hunt guided? I’ve had a few people tell me to just suck it and learn from a pro on a guided hunt. I understand that it increases odds of success and action, but I’m a big game hunter so I’m used to coming home empty handed!

If it was guided would you recommend who you went with? Shoot me a PM if you want to discuss off the board.
Personally, I would recommend going with a guide or someone that can show you the ropes. There's a lot to learn..... I'll PM you the guy we went with... it's a no frills hunt.

FWIW, I think more urban-suburban areas should allow hunting of Canada geese, even if for safety reasons they limit the weapons to archery, adult air rifles, or shotguns loaded with small birdshot for head shots only, and only within 20 yards.

Back
Top Bottom