• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to Grow your own Organic Vegetables ???

airx22

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
10   0
Reaction score
I'm looking for someone who is interested in growing their own vegetables for their family this year.
I live in the Canton/Hickory Flat area and have plenty of land for a large scale garden.

I had a garden this year and grew plenty of stuff for my family but my gardening skills are very limited and would like to partner with someone who knows what they are doing but lack the space.
I would like this to turn into a business opportunity and sell to local restaurants or individuals in the future.

I have the land,tractor,well water,green house and plenty of hand tools but I need more knowledge. I'm willing to split everything 50/50 but need someone willing to help equally.

PM me if interested or more info.

Awesome idea!
If you were closer to me, I'd be in for sure.
I'm clearing about 1/4 acre of my land now to use as garden space (will double as a food plot come October/November).

I am definitely not a professional, but I can tell you that more than likely you will need to figure out how to keep the DEER, BIRDS, and RABBITS out of the garden area. The next hurdle is finding someone reliable to actually continue to show up and help.

Short story, I had a very similar idea as yours. I found a local church that had a solid acre of space. We negotiated a deal that I would clear the land, grade it, harrow it, and prepare for seeding. I would buy the seeds, the only thing I really needed was some of the members to help with weeding and maintenance. They agreed and organized a committee of members to help. Crops would be donated to needy people, pumpkins would be sold at a fall festival. All proceeds going to the church (not me). It would also be an educational experience for some of the children and young adults. I also offered to show children about my tractor (let them sit on it, take pics, etc). Finally, if successful, I offered to build them (at my expense) a little sitting area near the garden. Think of it as benches and picnic tables. Not cheap.

Last year, I cleared the land, graded it, harrowed it, and requested some members help me pick up some rocks that were in the soil. Nope, couldn't get one person to help after all the promises. I spent hours preparing the land and about $400 on seeds that just sit in my house unplanted. I cannot do it all by myself. An acre may not seem like a lot, but get out there on your hands and knees to plant seeds. It may as well be 100 acres if you do it yourself.

All said and done since this project was a flop, they had the nerve to call me up and ask me to come out to smooth over the harrowing I did. (for free). Yeah, nope, not happening.

Hopefully you have better luck than what I did.

Wow that's a bummer ! Out here near me is a guy who grows tons of veggies,he has a number of people who pay a monthly fee to get what veggies are available and I'm told he has a waiting list for people to join,no idea what the cost is. Last year I had a very small garden. 2 jalapeno plants 6-8 tomato bushes cucumbers,watermelon,cantaloupe,corn......I grew so much I couldnt give it all away.Surprisingly I didn't have any trouble with deer,rabbits birds,,,,had some bug issues thats about it. ANyways fingers crossed someone will be interested in partnering up.

Back
Top Bottom