• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to join an outdoor shooting club - Seeking info

lisztomania7

Default rank <1500 posts
Mall Ninja
120   0
Reaction score
Hi ODT,

I've grown up shooting with my dad on a regular basis at Cherokee Gun Club in Gainesville, where he his a member. It's about time I joined a different club on my own (I'm in my late 20's), and I'm looking for some suggestions/info.

One of the biggest factors is: Where are membership applications currently being accepted? Where is there a years long waiting list, and which clubs are currently taking in new members?

A second consideration for me: I want to be able to practice "3-gun" / rifle moving-and-shooting on my own, and am looking for a place where I can practice that and rifle shooting isn't limited to sitting behind a bench.
I also want to be able to practice pistol shooting on steel, which is actually what I do the vast majority of the time when I shoot.

I'm looking for anything within an hour-ish drive (or less) from where I live in the metro Atlanta area, or on the way to Athens.

Some places I'm interested in (and I'm open to any other suggestions):

- Riverbend Gun Club: New membership? Do they have plenty of action pistol pits? Don't they have a really long rifle range, something like 600 yards? (That would be a huge plus to me) It's the most expensive to join up front, but being able to shoot 600 yards would just be awesome.

- South River Gun Club: New membership? Cheaper to join initially than Riverbend. It sounds like they have plenty of action pistol (and rifle?) pits, which would be great. Do they have the 300 yard rifle range open?

- Athens Rifle Club: New membership? Cheaper than the others, and a small club. I shot here pretty regularly when I was in college at UGA with my roommate who was a member, and it was a lot of fun. I liked the pistol ranges, and it was never very crowded. The rifle range seems a little limited (no running and gunning, just benchrest shooting), but it's cheap and it would be fun to shoot in the morning and then spend a day with the wife in Athens. I'd really love to join this club, but I'm not sure whether or not they're taking new members. Also, do they allow shooting from a holster on the pistol ranges? My friend in the past indicated that it wasn't allowed, but I can't see anything about that in their rules online. That would be a dealbreaker for me.

Before I start firing off emails to these different clubs, I thought I'd ask the ODT. Any info would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!!!

I can recommend South River where Atlanta Three Gun has monthly matches. They have about 20 action bays plus trap and skeet. I am not sure if they reopened the rifle range. There's someone in the clubhouse Wednesday's and all weekend and if you want to shoot a match you don't have to join the club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

South River Rifle range is open by appointment only right now. The 300 yard range is only available during the week Monday through Friday.. The 100 / 200 yard range is open 7 days a week.
Plenty of action bays. They have matches almost every weekend but there are plenty of bay still available.
They are accepting new members.
Shooting can start at 9:00am and ends at dusk.

I would say just stay put and join the club where you Dad is a member and shoot with him as much as possible. There will be a day where you will miss the time y'all were able to spend together.

Thanks to all of you for the info so far. I’m definitely going to check out South River, and it’s good to hear I could join without a wait.

I’d love to hear some info about Riverbend or Athens Rifle Club if any of you know about that. I’m sure there are a lot of members of those clubs that are on ODT.

I would say just stay put and join the club where you Dad is a member and shoot with him as much as possible. There will be a day where you will miss the time y'all were able to spend together.

I definitely will keep shooting with my Dad as much as possible at Cherokee, probably a lot more often now than before since he’s retiring soon. I’m looking to join a different club for the other times when I shoot on my own or with my wife, which offers some different capabilities than Cherokee (such as action bays where I can move and shoot with a rifle, etc.) Also, from what I understand they’ve recently closed the waiting list for new members at Cherokee, so that removes that possibility anyway.

Back
Top Bottom