• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to join my first lease in a couple of years. Where to look? What to avoid?

Nate

Default rank 5000+ posts
GET TO DA CHOPPA!
286   0
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have always hunted a small patch of family land but I'm looking to join a lease in the next few years so I can have the chance to hunt a larger - trophy managed property with my daughters. The only problem is I know nothing about leases?

I've posted some questions below. Please share your experiences and feel free to add any questions considerations I've missed.

1) Where should I look for a lease?
Who has classifieds? Athens has a QDMA chapter, thought that might be a good place to start

2) What should I be looking for? I've heard horror stories of clubs with too many rules, not enough rules, and jerks looking to run you off after you have paid your dues.

3) How should stands be chosen/rationed - I've heard of 1st come first served, I've also heard of established members having a monopoly on the good stands.

BTW, if you have a quality lease in within an hour or so of Athens let me know. I don't mind going on a waiting list.

Thanks as always fellas.

Problems I found in the past were
Number of members in relation to the number of actual huntable acres.
A club where the majority is related.
If it allows ATVs. Last one I was in it sounded like a race track on saturday morning. They could n't walk 1/4 mile to their stand they had to ride and then 1 hour after sunrise they're riding around to see if anyone got anything.
Whether Dog hunting is allowed.
Point rules and how it's enforced.

Problems I found in the past were
Number of members in relation to the number of actual huntable acres.
A club where the majority is related.
If it allows ATVs. Last one I was in it sounded like a race track on saturday morning. They could n't walk 1/4 mile to their stand they had to ride and then 1 hour after sunrise they're riding around to see if anyone got anything.
Whether Dog hunting is allowed.
Point rules and how it's enforced.

This is so true. Beware of all of what he wrote and more.

Especially avoid the everyone in the club is related , you will find that you are simply financial support and really aren’t expected to hunt or kill anything and don’t complain about any f them breaking rules cause those rules are there for you not them.
Truer words were never typed thanks

Back
Top Bottom