• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to join my first lease in a couple of years. Where to look? What to avoid?

Especially avoid the everyone in the club is related , you will find that you are simply financial support and really aren’t expected to hunt or kill anything and don’t complain about any f them breaking rules cause those rules are there for you not them.
not all family ran clubs are like that.

We have had the same core group for 35 years, and we managed to get along.

If I had a comment about other clubs, it's too many rules. Invariably they apply to some and don't apply to others.

We don't have any real rules other than one on harvest limits, and everyone gets along. Pretty much because we are all grown ass men who should be able to figure stuff out. Bottom line is that they are just deer, and the state is full of them. I'm not going to get butt hurt over something that might be road kill tomorrow.

The idea of someone killing "my deer" just make me ROFLMAO.

Regrettably Weyerheuser is selling of the land as fast as they can. After 35 + years, this might well be the last one.

Problems I found in the past were
Number of members in relation to the number of actual huntable acres.
A club where the majority is related.
If it allows ATVs. Last one I was in it sounded like a race track on saturday morning. They could n't walk 1/4 mile to their stand they had to ride and then 1 hour after sunrise they're riding around to see if anyone got anything.
Whether Dog hunting is allowed.
Point rules and how it's enforced.
As for size... I'd say at least 100 acres per member

We had issues with 4wheelers being ridden at prime time morning and evening they would see were you where on the map and still ride right under you in the stand then there is the ever present “that’s my area I have a stand there” even if they weren’t hunting that wknd the brother or cousin would protect the spots in their absence, they would routinely kill spotted fawns,no rule against that but come on.

We had issues with 4wheelers being ridden at prime time morning and evening they would see were you where on the map and still ride right under you in the stand then there is the ever present “that’s my area I have a stand there” even if they weren’t hunting that wknd the brother or cousin would protect the spots in their absence, they would routinely kill spotted fawns,no rule against that but come on.
That's exactly what I was talking about.

Best of luck. Finding a good hunting club that is affordable in GA is very difficult. Like Biker said, you are best off trying to find your own lease. 80 to 100 acres per hunter is a solid base line. I know a small club south of Athens that has 12 members on 120 acres! Ridiculous. Also, if they have a 1500 acre lease but you can only hunt one small designated area, run away. This is the kind of crap some others are referring to. I know some very well managed and well established clubs but they are all too far away to recommend. Best of luck, but find your own lease even if its just 80 acres somewhere.

Hunt you small family spot and enjoy it. We hunt 64 acres and there are 2 of us (brother and me) only. We always watch out for each other, watch what we shoot at, and help if one of us gets something. We normally leave each other notes of where were are hunting and what we saw. Hunting is much more enjoyable if it is a about being in the woods and harvesting something is just a bonus. If you get something off the family land, it will mean a lot more to you. Also, what you will pay in dues, you can do a lot with your own property.

Just remember that the rules normally apply to everyone except the person(s) who made them in a club. A lot of good advise from members above.

Back
Top Bottom