• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to start reloading...lotsa questions...

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
Ok, sniffing the tax refund real soon. I want to start reloading various pistol calibers. Maybe .45, .44 mag, .44 spec. and 10mm. Depends on what guns I pick up, if I pick up.

Dillon's reloading products rings my bell for some reason. What do I need to look at to buy? Now, I have absolutely nothing, and no less than that about reloading other than the threads I have read and the youtube videos I have watched.

I know there is someone close to me in Dacula/Buford/Hoschton/Flowery Branch area that was OK with newbies learning how to reload by watching their process. Forgot who the person was.

Try to find someone selling a complete package this stuff ads up real quickly, and will nickel and dime you til death. I don’t do pistol but do all rifle rounds if I can be of any help just shoot me a PM I will give you my number.
It is addicting when you start

Reloading is not hard but it can be very unforgiving. Don't get in a hurry, powder measurements are never "close enough" and all bullets are not the same. Have fun, enjoy and welcome to a very rewarding and relaxing hobby.

A square deal B is a good starting progressive that's reasonably easy to set up. It has is own proprietary dies-doesn't use standard dies. It comes with one die set ready to go.

If you're thinking of reloading rifle you can add a single stage press or consider stepping up the the next blue press.

The RL 550C has the measure and conversion kit without a set of dies-sold separately. It has a removable tool head that is really nice to maintain adjustments by swapping the tool head out. The Square deal B you have to remove all the dies and reset them each time. You have a wheel to index the round on the turret by finger. That makes it a bit easier to double charge a case but i like its versatility.

I have all three.

I use the single stage for precision rifle ammo. The progressive presses for handgun ammo and .223/.308 Remington bulk ammo.

Get some decent basic reloading books and read a couple or more before doing the deed.

Ask questions here if you hit a bump. Plenty of guys here with decades of reloading experience and a wealth of knowledge.

I have got a good amount of people into reloading and the ones that took this advice still are doing it and the ones who didn't are not.

Start with a single stage press. Give it a few thousand rounds then move to a progressive press. Its not a waste of money a single stage press is always handy and you will use it.

Other then the spewed normal safety b.s. that is it. Its fun to do you save money but loose time but gain power, accuracy, reliability with finicky guns, you can load up or load down rounds for recoil management, you get to load for hard to find or overly expensive ammo. Lots of perks to hand loading. Just start on a single stage.

I started with a turret press. All most got overwhelmed a couple of times. I run a Dillon progressive now. I would have saved some money starting with a progressive, but the learning curve is mighty steep.

There has been quite a bit of reloading equipment popping up on here lately. Dillon is a great machine and they will fix it if they built it no matter what is wrong with it. Buying used will save you money if you are patient and wait for the right deal. Besides the press you need a scale, most prefer digital, a dial or digital calipers, case trimming and chamfering tools. Also dies and conversion kits specific to what you are loading.

Back
Top Bottom