• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to start reloading...lotsa questions...

I pull thousands of 8mm rounds to use the bullets and powder with Boxer primed cases.

You need only 'bump' the bullet a thousandth or so into the case to 'break' the crimp (use a seater die set to do this in a single stage) and then I can pull them quite fast with a kinetic puller.

The Lee Classic Cast Turret is the best starter press you can buy. Literally takes 10 seconds to go from single stage to auto-indexing (or back), works very well in either mode. Caliber changes are a simple, 30 second affair.

You can start slow, in single stage mode. After you've learned a bit, you can install the indexing rod and start cranking out ammo at a much higher rate. A really high quality product that is too often dismissed because it's from Lee.

Something important than most folks don't understand about Lee: Richard Lee, the founder, was all about producing things at very low cost. The original Lee Turret Press, the Lee Pro 1000, the shot shell press, are all a bit "fiddly" and cheap feeling. They work. Mostly. His son, John Lee, took over about 10 years ago, and Lee products took a dramatic step forward. The press shown below (the Classic Cast Turret) is the first press produced under John's leadership, and it was a quantum leap forward from anything Lee had made before. It's a kick ass piece of gear.

814175.jpg

I started out on a rcbs rock chucker back in the 70s. It was replaced several years back with the same. I also added a Dillon 650 years back excellent press. Would I start with a 650, maybe. If no wife, kids dogs, cats or anything distracting yes.
Starting out you need to pay attention to what you are doing. And yes, you will need a bullet puller, when in doubt, pull it. Just a thought, you will anyways use a single stage press, well worth the investment.

Our preference is the RCBS, bullet collects, and die, thread it in the die, use the correct collect, and pull that bullet,

Went to the RCBS, puller system, after breaking (4-5) of the hammer style puller.

Everyone has their favorites, this is just a simple suggestion to strongly consider, as we said, before do not skimp on tools, quality is not not cheap, but neither is the time wasted should you not have the needed tools that may not used as much however if you got it it makes things flowing so much less troubling than when you don't...

In the reloading world there is always another tool you will need from time to time, buy quality, not price, it certainly pays in the long run...

I agree the RCBS collet puller works great on rifle rounds. It is a little harder to grab a seated 230 Grain round nose out of a pistol case with one though. Also I find the hammer tyle to be more convent when setting up the dies if you push one in a little too deep. If he loads mostly handgun , the hammer type is the way to go. Yoteshooter is correct about the RCBS puller being where it is at for rifle cases, or if you mass produce errors (don't do that).

One thing you might want to know. Most brand dies will work on most any press. Unless you go with the Dillon Square Deal which has press specific dies. I started with a Dillon 550B and wanted to load 45 acp and 45 colt and so I bought the Dillon dies. Was later I realized I could have went with less expensive Lee dies.

I do recommend if you start with a Progressive and want to load rifle rounds, buy yourself an inexpensive single stage press for resizing the rifle brass. I resize all pistol brass on the dillon during the loading process, but process the rifle brass separately.

Rosewood

I’m interested too. One part of this hobby I haven’t set foot into yet. Subbed.

Get out your credit cards, check book, and empty the bank account, as you are now entering the most expensive hobby you have ever gotten into what so ever. You will never be finished acquiring dies, presses, tumblers, powder, primers, trimming equipment, extra specialty tools also, bullet puller dies, and it never ends... LOADING MANUALS, buy several not just one...

Good luck as you plunge into the world of explosives, remember SAFETY,SAFETY, SAFETY...

Load small batches and test first, don't load 500 rounds and find out they won't chamber or eject
Yeah don't load 500 when first starting out .. you may not realize you under weighted your loads so now they are single shots lol .. or alot of wasted powder

Yeah don't load 500 when first starting out .. you may not realize you under weighted your loads so now they are single shots lol .. or alot of wasted powder

That's good intel.

When I set up all my equipment and pulled the press handle on "my" RCBS Rock Chucker I loaded about 20 .38 Specials and went down to Elko to shoot them. They were very mild. I didn't zero balance my scale out and they were on the light side. Lesson learned.

Back
Top Bottom