• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Loose Dogs

Sigo

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
1   0
Reaction score
I was out hunting on the 23rd. Took my new Son-In-Law. He was in one stand and he was visited by four of the neighboring landonwner's dogs. Two of them chased off deer. I've seen one of the guy's dogs on my trail cam. I'm gonna download the pics and take them to the neighbor. I'll explain that he almost lost one or more of his dogs.

My regular hunting buddy said he'd have shot them. What say you?

looks like urban coyotes. no season on yotes, all year long and at night with a light...
you can ask, but most of the time the low life dog owner will get mad at you. then if you do shoot them, he will try and press charges. this thread will get a lot of pro dog flak. but if the need arises, do it quick and clean. dont make them suffer....

I have been in that situation on a couple occasions. I always feel like I want to shot the dog for messing up my hunt but then I never really can bring my self to it. The couple times it has happened to me I have just chalked it up to **** happens.

My advice, for what it is worth, would be to talk to the dogs owner. Not having that conversation is not fair to anyone or the dog. The dog could be some 8 year old child's pet.

Don't go blaming them or being defensive but introduce yourself and tactfully explain to them your concern for their dog roaming your property during hunting season. Act as if the dogs safety is in your best interest but at the same time that your hunts are being disturbed.

If you threaten to shot their dog you will not get vary far and the trip over there will be pointless and or make things worse.

More than likely they are good ol country folk who live in a rural area so that they and their dogs can have the freedom to roam and none of them mean any harm.

I think too many times we don't get to know our neighbors until there is a problem and starting a relationship off that way will cause both parties to misunderstand one another and cause even more problems.

As hunters and stewards of the land I think that we have enough of a negative stigma placed on our heads with causing much more problems for our self's by shooting house pets.

Not pro dog, am pro gun, but also have a moral compass and I know what is right and what is wrong.

Hope that helps!

looks like urban coyotes. no season on yotes, all year long and at night with a light...
you can ask, but most of the time the low life dog owner will get mad at you. then if you do shoot them, he will try and press charges. this thread will get a lot of pro dog flak. but if the need arises, do it quick and clean. dont make them suffer....

I wouldn't go out shooting someone's dogs. For many, it would be like shooting one of their family. If someone shot one of your family "heaven forbid", would you feel less if it appeared quick and clean?

To the OP, how close you were to your neighbors land? If they are running deep in your lands, that's one thing. You have the right to hunt on your property and, if I had dogs that were taking off and risking themselves being shot, I'd greatly appreciate the information. I'd see it as a sign of care and respect. That's just me.

I wouldn't go out shooting someone's dogs. For many, it would be like shooting one of their family. If someone shot one of your family "heaven forbid", would you feel less if it appeared quick and clean?

To the OP, how close you were to your neighbors land? If they are running deep in your lands, that's one thing. You have the right to hunt on your property and, if I had dogs that were taking off and risking themselves being shot, I'd greatly appreciate the information. I'd see it as a sign of care and respect. That's just me.
but you would shoot a ghetto punk for robbing your home?
if his family took the time with him and kept him up, he would not rob you.
if a dog gets loose its one thing, if a dog runs loose its another.
i like dogs, but a loose dog is a feral dog, and a feral dog is dangerous...

but you would shoot a ghetto punk for robbing your home?
if his family took the time with him and kept him up, he would not rob you.
if a dog gets loose its one thing, if a dog runs loose its another.
i like dogs, but a loose dog is a feral dog, and a feral dog is dangerous...
Not sure that I get your point. The analogy isn't even close. Someone busting into your home isn't the same as, a clearly stated "neighbor's dog" not recognizing a property line.

Sorry, a loose dog doesn't equate to being feral.

Back
Top Bottom