• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Loosing Money on Trades Here on ODT

Clarke123

Default rank <4500 posts
Love Them UGA Dogs!
196   0
Reaction score
WAS: Cumming, GA NOW: Punta Gorda, Florida
Thought it appropriate to give discussion an opportunity. It's a lot about just what this forum is about ... and it seems that there are variety of opinions on the subject (No Surprise Here!).

One of the basic uses of the forum is to trade / buy / sell firearms ... by enthusiasts and collectors, with some identified FFL dealers participating .... all within the provisions of both federal and state law. And like many hobby related activities, you sometimes loose money because you didn't do your homework before selling or before buying (if you pay too much, then expect to loose some coin when you sell! This is true of real estate, automobiles, coins, etc).

There are some non-FFL members who treat "trading guns" as a profit making enterprise ... do it enough and you will get a visit from ATF requesting a copy of your FFL! I have heard a couple of stories on the subject lately ... they describe a most unpleasant experience! ... I personally don't see this as being the purpose of this forum, but (unfortunately) some do ... For me, meeting like-minded gun enthusiasts and trading interesting firearms is enjoyable and enlightening: sometimes you come out ahead on trades, sometimes you pick up something then find something else you like better .. and loose out because you did. Kinda like being single and seeing a prettier or more interesting girl that you just gotta have!!! Then you find out that "looks aren't everything"

Yes, loosing money here is not unusual!

Don't cry over a little loss ... after all, you've learned something in the process .. and experience is never cheap!

My 2 Cents Worth!

eh i look at it all as a wash. I've made some big up trades on here before and was VERY happy to do so, some have been extremely good trades once i got home and did further research (this is the case more often than not of folks just not realizing what they had) so on some i have done very well. then i probably have an equal amount that i lost some on, i've never lost my ass on an item but have indeed taken a hit once or twice, but a good reason for this is generally when i want to sell something i want it to sell, so i generally price my items pretty fairly and am not afraid to haggle.

LoL. OP didn't you send an offer recently with the first thing in mind you had, being the VALUES on the firearms? Then proceeded to tell me how evenly valued they were? (They weren't, btw, a PSA/Anderson plain jane AR pistol is a bottom feeder)

Back
Top Bottom