• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Loosing Money on Trades Here on ODT

You must refer to "trading guns" as "trading cash for guns"? You can't make a profit if no cash exchanges hands regardless of the other guns perceived worth. I have never heard of anyone getting an ATF visit, please share.

There have been a few guys on here who have had visits. The ATF has no rules about profit nor an amount before they decide you are dealing guns. They look at the combined picture of sales , length of ownership. If you bought a gun last week at the pawn shop and this week it is listed here and next week it turns up in a crime you are going to get a visit. They will usually give you the option of getting an FFL before arresting you. Go read about the 2014 bust at the Dothan flea market. The ATF used a felon as an informant/buyer so they get charged with selling to a convicted felon. There were also guys selling across state lines as well as felons selling. There are guys here who sold guns that ended up in New York crimes.

Can you give a high level on the atf conversation and outcome?

Top Line: Guy loves firearms and every chance he got he bought one; all from the same local dealer (who had to love him!).
Guy loses his job ... times get tough pretty quick. So, he starts dumping guns here and elsewhere. ATF visits and gives him the 3rd degree. Orders him to get a FFL OR start making a log of purchases and "trades" with names and I.D. information. My immediate question was whether the ATF visit was the result of activity here ... He said NO, it was the frequent purchases that clued them into him. When he couldn't produce the firearms OR state where they went ... then the brass knuckles came out.

Didn't you hear?

Only suckers lose money on ODT.

Sorry - I couldn't find the sarcasm font.

Hell if you came out on top every time you traded it wouldn’t be any fun. It’s like gambling, sometimes you win, other times you lose...

We’re all supposed to be honest gentlemen (and ladies) on here, and I think we’d all pretty much agree (if we’re in that category) that we’re here for fun, the hobby, to try and find and get what we want, and when selling/trading, hoping to break even or come close, but we’ve all taken losses. I’ve met some great folks through ODT and other forums. Hell, one of my best long-distance buds is a guy who I met through a gun deal several years back.

Now... here’s my question... we all try and do a little research so as to not be outrageously off the mark with our sale and trade values, but if someone is, do you PM him and try steer him a little, or just let the market do the talking? I, for one, may be appreciative of a little honest opinion every now and again... whereas I can definitely see some being a complete a$$ about it. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom