• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Loosing Money on Trades Here on ODT

I joined to hopefully trade a few firearms into others that I wouldn’t have had the option to purchase.
Shoot them , admire the weapon , design and mechanics-then onto another.
Just a hobby .
Profiteers - you are entitled....

Thought it appropriate to give discussion an opportunity. It's a lot about just what this forum is about ... and it seems that there are variety of opinions on the subject (No Surprise Here!).

One of the basic uses of the forum is to trade / buy / sell firearms ... by enthusiasts and collectors, with some identified FFL dealers participating .... all within the provisions of both federal and state law. And like many hobby related activities, you sometimes loose money because you didn't do your homework before selling or before buying (if you pay too much, then expect to loose some coin when you sell! This is true of real estate, automobiles, coins, etc).

There are some non-FFL members who treat "trading guns" as a profit making enterprise ... do it enough and you will get a visit from ATF requesting a copy of your FFL! I have heard a couple of stories on the subject lately ... they describe a most unpleasant experience! ... I personally don't see this as being the purpose of this forum, but (unfortunately) some do ... For me, meeting like-minded gun enthusiasts and trading interesting firearms is enjoyable and enlightening: sometimes you come out ahead on trades, sometimes you pick up something then find something else you like better .. and loose out because you did. Kinda like being single and seeing a prettier or more interesting girl that you just gotta have!!! Then you find out that "looks aren't everything"

Yes, loosing money here is not unusual!

Don't cry over a little loss ... after all, you've learned something in the process .. and experience is never cheap!

My 2 Cents Worth!
Sometimes I make out real good, but most of the time some shiny/and/or loud thing gets my attention and I just have to have it.

Sometimes I make out real good, but most of the time some shiny/and/or loud thing gets my attention and I just have to have it.
I've made out like a Hooker at an Army Camp on Pay Day (Something BIKER13 BIKER13 can related to) since I joined years ago. I have a nice collection of Pew Pew's that I most likely would have never bought anywhere else. As Sherlock Holmes would say "The Trades afoot Watson"..:thumb:

I've done trades that were "in my favor" and trades that were not. My criteria has always been if it got me something I wanted. Yes there can be an estimate or given value to a gun but I don't mind "losing" if I am trading something I don't want or am not crazy about in order to get something I really like or will enjoy more.
Exactly this ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆

I have found that if I hang on to a gun long enough, I come out good on a trade or sale.
For stuff that I lose money on, I know that I have enjoyed it and shot the hell out of it and that’s worth the difference to me.

Want always seems to beat out need. Make a little, lose a little, it happens. I've bought guns I absolutely hate in which case any reasonable offer will be accepted

I actually had a personal crisis where I thought about abandoning and cancelling my ODT account.

I made a trade that was heavily NOT in my favor. I had three of one gun (and they are good guns, not High Point) and the other party had a gun that I really wanted that doesn't come up much for sale, so I traded him straight up, with no haggling.

I know that I probably broke the ODT man code, but I'm coming to terms with how I identify myself now.

Back
Top Bottom