• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lots Of Deer This Year!

A lot of people that "bait" actually do year round supplemental feeding. The deer are healthier, more fawns are born and antler growth is improved.

It's great for the deer herd.

The does seem to gravitate towards urban areas away from the deep woods to birth and raise their fawns.
I’d guess it’s to get away from the predators since they often tend to shy away from areas that we occupy.

Deer are relocating due to habit loss

Or that deer cocaine got em ****ing like crazy and they're over populating:noidea:
There has been no habitat loss in my area for at least two years.

Most likely it's that more fawns are being born and have been surviving due to mild winters. Plus there has been more food available since the baiting laws have been changed. More food and more temperate climate equals more deer.

They are predicting a pretty harsh winter this year, so we will probably see a distinct drop off in numbers over the next couple of years.

There has been no habitat loss in my area for at least two years.

Most likely it's that more fawns are being born and have been surviving due to mild winters. Plus there has been more food available since the baiting laws have been changed. More food and more temperate climate equals more deer.

They are predicting a pretty harsh winter this year, so we will probably see a distinct drop off in numbers over the next couple of years.
Then we gotta blame it on the drugs

My neighbor across the street has fruit trees...crabapples, figs and small yellow apples.
The local deer all congregate there and it’s nothing to see 12 deer feeding there at any given time.
Saw a nice, spry young buck yesterday by himself with his velvet 6 points loving the treats.
There are several batchelor groups that will come around right before the season starts then disappear once archery comes.
Last season a couple days before archery I had five really nice, mature bucks in the 8-10 point range in my back yard woods browsing.
I was able to sneak up within 10 yards of them.
I only moved when they put their heads down to browse (little trick I learned while walk/stalk hunting).
It was cool to see them so close without busting me.
I was hoping to run into them during archery but no such luck.
I definitely have seen a lot of fawns this year as well with some big mamas but also quite a few very small mama does.
I hope to have some meat in the freezer early on.

Back
Top Bottom