• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Low balling

If it doesn't say firm how are you supposed to know what they would actually take? What do guys consider a fair offer say on a 300$ gun that they are asking 325$

Example... Hypothetically, if someone was posting a used Beretta 92 FS for $475, I would consider that I can get a brand new, perfect condition one through PSA for $449. My negotiation price would start at a minimum of 10% lower than that price (@$400) if it truly was in "Like New" condition with box and everything else that came from the factory. If the gun had a bunch of visible scratches and holster wear in the posted photos, I would consider it a reliable beater gun but would probably offer no more than @$275-$300.

I saw a shotgun advertised the other day in great condition, with some handling marks.:shocked:
It looked like someone handled it with a running chainsaw.:wacko:

Some folks should take their firearms to a pawnshop and get an appraisal before they get "lowballed" on the ODT.:mmph:

if somebody makes a decent offer i will probably counter...if they low-ball i generally just answer no...if they ask "what is the lowest you will take?" i usually ask "what is the most you will offer?"...no obligation to take an offer so who really cares if they low-ball?

1zd8rp.jpg

Type A Seller: Treats ODT like a marketplace and he/she will not lose a penny. They consider themselves expert negotiators and pride themselves in being able to buy low and sell high. They don't really care about the firearm. They are not really a hobbyist. They just want to make money. They will relist an "overpriced" item over and over and over and over because they WILL NOT LOSE money on an item.

Type A Buyers: They don't care if they offend you. They don't have any skin in the game - "business is business", right?

• So if they offer you half and they get it, great! They'll sell at a profit and that will reinforce their feelings of themselves as being expert negotiators. They will pat themselves on the back and brag to their buddies about the deals they've made.
  • If the seller doesn't accept their offer then well, screw the seller! If the seller offers a reasonable counter then they may or may not play, depending on the offer. See - they don't want the firearm itself to enjoy, they just want to be able to turn around and make a profit off of it.

Type B Seller: Asks 75-85% of price of a new firearm new. Is tired of the gun they thought they would enjoy but they didn't so they want to sell it and hopefully get something nice to replace it. They are a hobbyist and firearms enthusiast and they realize you can't sell a used item for new prices if you want to sell it and not keep relisting it.

• May actually sell the item for less if it is a friend who wants it.

Type B Buyer: Tends to offer 75-85% of the price of a new firearm if it is used. May go higher if they really want something because they want it to shoot and enjoy.

So imagine what happens when a Type A seller gets and offer from a Type B buyer. Or vice versa. Because of the nature of each - it usually ends in frustration.

Back
Top Bottom