Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. 10 Year Anniversary Gun Show & Swap Meet - August 29 - Click here for tickets and click here for info!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  3. Featured Listings are working again! Feature your listing on every page for $3 a day! Click here for all the info.
    Dismiss Notice

Low Country Broil

Thread in 'Cooking & Recipes' started by Klif, May 20, 2020 at 10:34 PM.

1. Klif

Klif Frontiersman Supporter

Supporter

5   0

Rating
    100%
    Item Name: Low Country Broil

Zip Code: 30135

Item is for: Sale/Trade NOT SPECIFIED

Caliber: 5 gallons?

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: I am wanting some low country broil. Bad thing is I've never cooked up a mess of it. Anyone have a really good recipe for about 5 gallons or so worth? What kind of pot do you cook it in and what do you put the pot on for heat?

Long ago when we had family reunions in Social Circle there was an old couple that would set up a metal tripod with a huge cauldron over a wood fire in the side yard and they would cook up a big pot of Brunswick Stew. Every kind of meat from beef, pork, squirrel, venison, possum or what ever road kill they found, would cook for about 3 days being stirred with a wooden boat paddle. That was some great stew.

I kind of envision the low country stuff being cooked basically the same way but probably not for 3 days.

Now I'm hungry just talking about it so I think I'll get get a beef and bean burrito out of the freezer and cook it in the microwave.
    DISCLAIMER: Always comply with local, state, federal, and international law. The Outdoors Trader does not become involved in transactions between parties. Review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more information.

2. 3clicks_Off

3clicks_Off The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

241   0

Rating
    100%
  3. jeep78

jeep78 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

26   0

Rating
    100%
    I have done low country boil. Never a broil.

Lots of recipes if you do a search, bur most are very similar.

A large soup pot or beer pot works fine. Gas stoves from camp stove to propane burners for friers work fine, as well.

Toothpick and renagadeinjun like this.
  4. ADAduckhuntr

ADAduckhuntr Deplorable

26   0

Rating
    100%
  5. Electra_glide_ryder

Electra_glide_ryder Tracker Supporter

Supporter

22   0

Rating
    100%
    Low country BOIL:
    Buy a large pot & propane burner at Home Depot, Lowe’s, Walmart, etc.
    Fill it 1/2 full of water, add a handful of salt, some Tony Chachere’s Cajun seasoning (I use a handful) and bring it to a boil. Add 2 or 3 red potatoes per person & boil for 20 minutes. An onion & a few cloves of garlic are nice also. After 20 minutes add brats or andouille sausage, 1/8 pound per person. Boil 10 minutes and add frozen or fresh corn on the cob. Boil 10 minutes and add the shrimp. Use raw shell on if you can find it (Ingles always has Carolina frozen wild caught shell on shrimp). 1/2 pound per person. Get the largest you can afford. 10 or 12 count are my favorite. Bring to a boil and turn off the heat. Let it soak for about 4 minutes then enjoy.

6. Electra_glide_ryder

Electra_glide_ryder Tracker Supporter

Supporter

22   0

Rating
    100%
    I forgot an important part of this recipe - drink a beer during each step!

7. lostchild

lostchild The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter

34   0

Rating
    100%
    Sounds just about like we used to cook it on the beach at Tybee, ‘cept we used Old Bay seasoning. #2 washtub on a couple cinder blocks, wood fire, and shrimp (Lots of shrimp) fresh off the boat. And somebody’d always pour in a beer or two.

renagadeinjun and palmettomoon like this.
  8. fuelman1

fuelman1 ODT Junkie! Supporter

Supporter

80   0

Rating
    100%
    I'll be doing one this weekend. I just bought 10lbs of fresh red potatoes from the high school FFA. I live in shrimp country so that's never a problem. I like using a combo of Cajun seasoning and Old Bay for the water. If you can find it try Sunset Farms Jalapeno sausage. It's made in Valdosta and it was made for a boil. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp. Even the jumbos only take a few minutes to cook. Throw in the shrimp last thing and cut off the flame. I set up a folding table and disposable tablecloth. Drain everything and dump on the table. I like to give a generous sprinkle of Old bay over everything when it's on the table. If you plan right you'll have left over shrimp. Cold boiled shrimp are great. Shrimp salad is better. Peel shrimp, chop into good size pieces. Finely dice some sweet onion and celery. Throw it together with a bit of Old Bay and some mayo and you have some delish shrimp salad.

9. lokidogg

lokidogg The Fallen! Supporter

Supporter

34   0

Rating
    100%
    I'm free for some good grub. You can't be to far away from me.

palmettomoon likes this.
  10. GeauxLSU

GeauxLSU Moderator Staff Member

36   0

Rating
    100%