• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Low recoil .38 target ammo?

GeorgiaHunter

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
I bought my wife a SW 642 for Christmas and we still haven't taken the pistol to the range. Wife is not much of a shooter although she will shoot .22, larger frame 9mm like my Glock 19 or my Sig SP 2022 in 9mm.

I bought some low recoil defensive ammo (Hornady Critical Defense "Lite" 90 gr. FTX). And so now I'm wondering if a lower recoil target ammo exists. Thanks.

The ideal light plinking / Range round would have a light (90-125 gr.) bullet driven only to about 700 f.p.s. velocity.

Are there any “cowboy action” loads that light?

COwboy matches usually feature rather weak ammo, just enough to ring a steel plate or pop a balloon.

Call Georgia Arms and ask them for some .38 spl HBWC mid-range target loads (they are designed for use in the S&W 52 series of target pistols). I load their HBWC 148 gr bullets with 2.7 grains Win 231 and get just under 700 fps. Perfect for 25 yards and don't beat the 52s to death.

I got a hold of some Freedom Munitions 357mags about a month ago. Thought I was shooting light 38spl. Absolutely no recoil. You might try some of their 38spl. If they are as light as the 357mags were it will probably feel like you are shooting a .22 caliber.

What happened to the .38 spl "wadcutters" that were commonly available years ago ? Used to pay $4-5 a box of 50.
Not "tactical" or death shredder enough I guess. Maybe they should have changed packaging and put some zombies on the box or something.

When police depts carried 38s, 38 target ammo was everywhere. No one but some rentacops carry wheelguns now, so the target stuff is rare on store shelves.

It is the easiest round to reload, why not give it a try?

Back
Top Bottom